* Remove the build-in orgmode
@ 2014-06-01 22:22 Shiyuan
From: Shiyuan @ 2014-06-01 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

    I updated Org-mode from ELPA. If I start emacs normally, M-x
org-version does show the new version(8.2.6). But if I start emacs  with
-Q, emacs will still run the built-in version(7.9.3). This is not
convenient for debugging purpose. Is there anyway to remove the built-in
version 7.9.3 completely so that even if I start emacs with -Q, emacs still
use the new version 8.2.6 from ELPA.  Thanks.

Shiyuan

* Re: Remove the build-in orgmode
@ 2014-06-02  6:46 ` Brady Trainor
From: Brady Trainor @ 2014-06-02  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Shiyuan wrote:

> Hi,
>     I updated Org-mode from ELPA. If I start emacs normally, M-x
> org-version does show the new version(8.2.6). But if I start emacs  with
> -Q, emacs will still run the built-in version(7.9.3). This is not
> convenient for debugging purpose. Is there anyway to remove the built-in
> version 7.9.3 completely so that even if I start emacs with -Q, emacs
> still
> use the new version 8.2.6 from ELPA.  Thanks.
>
> Shiyuan

I have

   (setq load-path (delete "/usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org" load-path))
   (setq load-path (delete "c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org"
load-path))

in my notes, for when I was trying to get the most recent maint repository
version of org working. There is a better version of these lines somewhere
at stack exchange... here it is: http://stackoverflow.com/a/20616703/2533127

You could potentially have this in a ~/debugorg.el, and use

    emacs -q -l "~/debugorg.el"

For more exploring, try =cd /usr/share/emacs/=, and =ls=. Also, try =C-h v
load-path RET C-x o C-s org=. In other words, have Emacs describe the =load-
path= variable, switch to that window and do a search for the term "org".

(It is somewhere discouraged to remove the built-in org, but hopefully
someone will give you steps and tips anyway. (Would it simply suffice to
temporarily move the emacs/24.3/lisp/org directory described above?))

Brady

* Re: Remove the build-in orgmode
@ 2014-06-02  7:18   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-06-02  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brady Trainor; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Brady Trainor <algebrat@uw.edu> writes:

> Shiyuan wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>     I updated Org-mode from ELPA. If I start emacs normally, M-x
>> org-version does show the new version(8.2.6). But if I start emacs  with
>> -Q, emacs will still run the built-in version(7.9.3). This is not
>> convenient for debugging purpose. Is there anyway to remove the built-in
>> version 7.9.3 completely so that even if I start emacs with -Q, emacs
>> still
>> use the new version 8.2.6 from ELPA.  Thanks.
>>
>> Shiyuan
>

> I have
>
>    (setq load-path (delete "/usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org" load-path))
>    (setq load-path (delete "c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.3/lisp/org"
> load-path))

or do the brutal thing:

1) rename the /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org to
e.g. /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org.builtin
2) symlink your org directory with the org version you want to use to
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org

But I don't know if this can be dine under windows.

Disadvantage: at an update of emacs, this will be overwritten!

Cheers,

Rainer

> in my notes, for when I was trying to get the most recent maint repository
> version of org working. There is a better version of these lines somewhere
> at stack exchange... here it is: http://stackoverflow.com/a/20616703/2533127
>
> You could potentially have this in a ~/debugorg.el, and use
>
>     emacs -q -l "~/debugorg.el"
>
> For more exploring, try =cd /usr/share/emacs/=, and =ls=. Also, try =C-h v
> load-path RET C-x o C-s org=. In other words, have Emacs describe the =load-
> path= variable, switch to that window and do a search for the term "org".
>
> (It is somewhere discouraged to remove the built-in org, but hopefully
> someone will give you steps and tips anyway. (Would it simply suffice to
> temporarily move the emacs/24.3/lisp/org directory described above?))
>

> Brady

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

PGP: 0x0F52F982

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 494 bytes --]

* Re: Remove the build-in orgmode
@ 2014-06-02  7:26 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-06-02  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Shiyuan <gshy2014@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I updated Org-mode from ELPA. If I start emacs normally, M-x
> org-version does show the new version(8.2.6). But if I start emacs
> with -Q, emacs will still run the built-in version(7.9.3). This is not
> convenient for debugging purpose. Is there anyway to remove the
> built-in version 7.9.3 completely so that even if I start emacs with -
> Q, emacs still use the new version 8.2.6 from ELPA. Thanks.

(On Archlinux) I simply trash the Org dir shipped with Emacs and put a
symlink to my git-version of Org-mode there. I was told I shouldn't do
that, but since I had many problems with mixed installs before, and no
problems at all after doing so, I stick with this apparently 'bad
habit'.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Remove the build-in orgmode
@ 2014-06-06 14:09   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-06-06 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Thorsten,

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

> (On Archlinux) I simply trash the Org dir shipped with Emacs and put a
> symlink to my git-version of Org-mode there. I was told I shouldn't do
> that, but since I had many problems with mixed installs before, and no
> problems at all after doing so, I stick with this apparently 'bad
> habit'.

I confirm this is a bad habit :)

From sources (git or tarball), Org mode setup is just this

(add-to-list 'load-path "/src/org-mode/")
(require 'org)

As for testing, Brady's solution to use emacs -q -l "~/testing.el"
is also the one I would suggest.

2 cents,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Remove the build-in orgmode
@ 2014-06-06 16:01     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-06-06 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Thorsten,
>
> Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> (On Archlinux) I simply trash the Org dir shipped with Emacs and put a
>> symlink to my git-version of Org-mode there. I was told I shouldn't do
>> that, but since I had many problems with mixed installs before, and no
>> problems at all after doing so, I stick with this apparently 'bad
>> habit'.
>
> I confirm this is a bad habit :)

I did that in the past (presumably for reasons similar to Thorsten's)
and I don't bother any longer (overriding is simple enough as you point
out), but the question  still bugs me: what's so bad about it? The
only reason I'm not doing it is laziness. Are there others?

Nick

* Re: Remove the build-in orgmode
@ 2014-06-06 18:12       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-06-06 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos writes:
> I did that in the past (presumably for reasons similar to Thorsten's)
> and I don't bother any longer (overriding is simple enough as you point
> out), but the question  still bugs me: what's so bad about it?

The reason it is bad is that parts of the code have already leaked out
from the org/ directory via custom-load and autoloads and that's going
to break things in the least convenient moment – for instance when you
try to hunt down bugs via "-Q".  There simply is no way to remove the
builtin Org from Emacs other than at build time and it's best not to
pretend otherwise.  Some day Emacs might actually treat its built-in
packages as actual packages so that you can de-activate or replace them,
but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: Remove the build-in orgmode
@ 2014-06-07  5:57         ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-06-07  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Nick Dokos writes:
>> I did that in the past (presumably for reasons similar to Thorsten's)
>> and I don't bother any longer (overriding is simple enough as you point
>> out), but the question  still bugs me: what's so bad about it?
>
> The reason it is bad is that parts of the code have already leaked out
> from the org/ directory via custom-load and autoloads and that's going
> to break things in the least convenient moment – for instance when you
> try to hunt down bugs via "-Q".  There simply is no way to remove the
> builtin Org from Emacs other than at build time and it's best not to
> pretend otherwise.  Some day Emacs might actually treat its built-in
> packages as actual packages so that you can de-activate or replace them,
> but I wouldn't hold my breath.

That sounds reasonable enough, but somehow that least convenient moment
never happens, while I remember *many* such moments when I still had more
than one Org on my machine ... but maybe I just don't huntdown bugs via
-Q often enough.

--
cheers,
Thorsten