Thanks for the reply and the tips. Just add another small tip to this thread: `-Q`/`-q` skips ELPA load path. So we need to manually add the ELPA load path to the debugorg.el. It looks like that by default the ELPA org-mode load path is ~/.emacs.d/org/$DATE On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 10:57 PM, Thorsten Jolitz wrote: > Achim Gratz writes: > > > Nick Dokos writes: > >> I did that in the past (presumably for reasons similar to Thorsten's) > >> and I don't bother any longer (overriding is simple enough as you point > >> out), but the question still bugs me: what's so bad about it? > > > > The reason it is bad is that parts of the code have already leaked out > > from the org/ directory via custom-load and autoloads and that's going > > to break things in the least convenient moment – for instance when you > > try to hunt down bugs via "-Q". There simply is no way to remove the > > builtin Org from Emacs other than at build time and it's best not to > > pretend otherwise. Some day Emacs might actually treat its built-in > > packages as actual packages so that you can de-activate or replace them, > > but I wouldn't hold my breath. > > That sounds reasonable enough, but somehow that least convenient moment > never happens, while I remember *many* such moments when I still had more > than one Org on my machine ... but maybe I just don't huntdown bugs via > -Q often enough. > > -- > cheers, > Thorsten > > >