From: Shiyuan <gshy2014@gmail.com>
To: Bastien <bzg@gnu.org>
Cc: "emacs-orgmode@gnu.org" <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Babel-R TBLFM example
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 16:02:33 -0700	[thread overview]

I am looking at a simpler example, the pie-chart example as in this link:
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/intro.html#literate-programming

This example(src code attached in the end) first generates a table by a
shell command and then run a R one-liner which uses the table.  However,
when the R code is evaluated, I got an error about the object dirs not
found.  This is what I got in the buffer running R:
-------------------------------
options(STERM='iESS', str.dendrogram.last="'", editor='emacsclient',
show.error.locations=TRUE)

Error in pie(dirs[, 1], labels = dirs[, 2]) (from
test-org-babe-meta-programming.org@24170fIx#1) : object 'dirs' not found

It looks like that the conversion is wrong.  When I run
`org-babel-expand-src-block`
on the R source code, I don't see the R object dirs is expanded to
anything. I don't understand how the conversion works, and how Babel passes
the table to R. Any explanation is appreciated. Which function/file should
I look at? Are there working examples for passing a table to R? Thanks.

Shiyuan

------------------------------
#+name: directories
#+begin_src shell :results replace
  cd ~ && du -sc * |grep -v total
#+end_src

#+RESULTS: directories
|       8 | #*message*-20140319-231047# |
| 1168376 | Documents                   |
| 9952288 | Downloads                   |
|       8 | xmodmap2~                   |

#+name: directory-pie-chart(dirs = directories)
#+begin_src R :session R-pie-example :file ~/tmp/dirs.png
  pie(dirs[,1], labels = dirs[,2])
#+end_src