Dear Ihor and Max, thanks for the feedback and apologies for responding that late. On Wed, 15 May 2024 at 13:48, Max Nikulin wrote: > Is it possible to keep title formatting from .bib files till it becomes > known that specific style requires sentence case for particular entry > type? I had a hope that it might alleviate the issue and to make things > working out of the box for more users. The problem is that many (maybe most) CSL styles simply assume that titles are in sentence-case in the input without making this explicit. The APA citation style is a prominent example: the APA guidelines require sentence-case titles but AFAICS the standard CSL implementations do not encode this explicitly. Of course it could be checked whether a CSL style contains explicit instructions about how to format titles and skip sentence-case conversion of input for those but this probably would not solve the problems of users who do not want the conversion at all. > > I'm a bit unsure about naming the option: > > Perhaps `org-cite-csl-sentence-case-bibtex-titles-without-langid' > > A variant: org-cite-csl-bibtex-title-to-sentence-case thanks, in the attached patch I went with (a slightly modified version of) this. > Does it means that you added one more argument to `citeproc-create' and > that consistent Org and citeproc-el versions must be used? no, at least in the sense that this argument has been there since 2021. > It may be tricky to preserve > backward-forward compatibility on this step, but it should make further > changes easier. It may be reasonable to explicitly add version of > "protocol" to the property list, so that citeproc-el may decide if error > should be signaled in the case of serious version difference. although I don't think backward compatibility could be a problem in that particular case, in the future a mechanism like this might be useful, so I plan to implement it, thanks for the suggestion. > It is not clear for me why `org-cite-csl-sentence-case-bibtex-titles' is > a part of Org, not of citeproc-el. The only thing that Org can do is to > pass it to citeproc-el. It is not configurable per .org file and likely > it should not be. From my point of view it might be more suitable per > .bib file. Anyway it is almost unrelated to Org. citeproc-el doesn't have customizable user options by design because it was conceived as a relatively low level rendering library. Also, it's used by several user-facing packages by now in addition to Org (org-ref, citar etc.) so I think it would be both confusing and difficult to try to keep this type of customizations in the library. > On Mon, 17 Jun 2024 at 13:37, Ihor Radchenko wrote: > > > Also, it would be nice to point out the CSL and Bibtex have different> > > conventions for the title field. I added a few words about this now both in the docstring and in the ORG-NEWS entry -- I've attached the updated patch. best wishes, AndrĂ¡s