* [BUG] org-cite-insert does not like @conference [9.5.2 (release_9.5.2 @ ~/.emacs.d/git/org-mode/lisp/)]
@ 2021-12-31 18:23 Julien Chastang
From: Julien Chastang @ 2021-12-31 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have been experimenting with org-cite. I noticed that I can insert
(org-cite-insert) all bibtex types *except* for @conference. For example:

@misc{foo123,
  author =       {joe},
  title =        {baba},
  booktitle =    {cacab},
  year =         1999
}

works fine (and all other types that I experimented with) leading to
a valid [cite:@foo123]

but not

@conference{foo123,
  author =       {joe},
  title =        {baba},
  booktitle =    {cacab},
  year =         1999
}

yet I believe @conference is a valid bibtex type. I noticed
that org-bibtex-types has an empty description for the conference type, but
I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I hope I have not missed
anything obvious.

Thank you very much for maintaining org.

-Julien

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin20.6.0, X toolkit,
cairo version 1.16.0, Xaw scroll bars)
 of 2021-09-30
Package: Org mode version 9.5.2 (release_9.5.2 @
/Users/<user>/.emacs.d/git/org-mode/lisp/)

current state:
==============
(setq
 org-src-mode-hook '(org-src-babel-configure-edit-buffer
                     org-src-mode-configure-edit-buffer)
 org-babel-clojure-backend 'cider
 org-link-shell-confirm-function 'yes-or-no-p
 org-babel-after-execute-hook '(jc/fix-inline-images)
 org-metadown-hook '(org-babel-pop-to-session-maybe)
 org-html-format-inlinetask-function
'org-html-format-inlinetask-default-function
 org-odt-format-headline-function 'org-odt-format-headline-default-function
 org-ascii-format-inlinetask-function 'org-ascii-format-inlinetask-default
 org-id-link-to-org-use-id 'create-if-interactive-and-no-custom-id
 org-mode-hook '(org-bullets-mode
                 (closure
                  (org-agenda-skip-regexp org-table1-hline-regexp
                   org-table-tab-recognizes-table\.el
org-table-dataline-regexp
                   org-table-any-border-regexp
                   org-agenda-restriction-lock-overlay
                   org-agenda-overriding-restriction org-agenda-diary-file
                   org-complex-heading-regexp t)
                  nil (setq imenu-create-index-function
'org-imenu-get-tree))
                 (lambda nil (local-set-key (kbd " SPC") 'ace-jump-mode))
                 (closure
                  (org--rds reftex-docstruct-symbol
org-element-greater-elements
                   visual-fill-column-width org-clock-history
                   org-agenda-current-date org-with-time org-defdecode
org-def
                   org-read-date-inactive org-ans2 org-ans1
                   org-columns-current-fmt-compiled org-clock-current-task
                   org-clock-effort org-agenda-skip-function
                   org-agenda-skip-comment-trees org-agenda-archives-mode
                   org-end-time-was-given org-time-was-given
org-log-note-extra
                   org-log-note-purpose org-log-post-message
                   org-last-inserted-timestamp org-last-changed-timestamp
                   org-entry-property-inherited-from
org-blocked-by-checkboxes
                   org-state org-agenda-headline-snapshot-before-repeat
                   org-agenda-buffer-name org-agenda-start-on-weekday
                   org-agenda-buffer-tmp-name org-priority-regexp
                   org-mode-abbrev-table org-mode-syntax-table
                   buffer-face-mode-face org-tbl-menu org-org-menu
                   org-struct-menu org-entities org-last-state
                   org-id-track-globally org-clock-start-time texmathp-why
                   remember-data-file
org-agenda-tags-todo-honor-ignore-options
                   iswitchb-temp-buflist calc-embedded-open-mode
                   calc-embedded-open-formula calc-embedded-close-formula
                   align-mode-rules-list org-emphasis-alist
                   org-emphasis-regexp-components
org-export-registered-backends
                   org-modules crm-separator org-babel-load-languages
                   org-id-overriding-file-name
org-indent-indentation-per-level
                   org-element-paragraph-separate org-inlinetask-min-level
t)
                  nil
                  (add-hook 'change-major-mode-hook 'org-show-all 'append
'local)
                  )
                 (closure
                  (org-src-window-setup *this*
                   org-babel-confirm-evaluate-answer-no
                   org-babel-tangle-uncomment-comments
                   org-src-preserve-indentation org-src-lang-modes
                   org-edit-src-content-indentation
org-babel-library-of-babel t)
                  nil
                  (add-hook 'change-major-mode-hook
#'org-babel-show-result-all
                   'append 'local)
                  )
                 org-babel-result-hide-spec org-babel-hide-all-hashes)
 org-odt-format-drawer-function '(closure
                                  (hfy-user-sheet-assoc hfy-html-quote-regex
                                   hfy-html-quote-map hfy-face-to-css
                                   hfy-begin-span-handler
hfy-end-span-handler
                                   nxml-auto-insert-xml-declaration-flag t)
                                  (_name contents) contents)
 org-archive-hook '(org-attach-archive-delete-maybe)
 org-confirm-elisp-link-function 'yes-or-no-p
 org-agenda-before-write-hook '(org-agenda-add-entry-text)
 org-metaup-hook '(org-babel-load-in-session-maybe)
 org-bibtex-headline-format-function '(closure (t) (entry)
                                       (cdr (assq :title entry)))
 org-latex-format-drawer-function '(closure (t) (_ contents) contents)
 org-babel-pre-tangle-hook '(save-buffer)
 org-tab-first-hook '(org-babel-hide-result-toggle-maybe
                      org-babel-header-arg-expand)
 org-babel-load-languages '((ditaa . t) (emacs-lisp . t) (org . t) (gnuplot
. t)
                            (latex . t) (shell . t) (http . t) (python . t))
 org-ascii-format-drawer-function '(closure (t) (_name contents _width)
contents)
 org-babel-python-command "jython"
 org-agenda-loop-over-headlines-in-active-region nil
 org-src-lang-modes '(("http" . "ob-http") ("C" . c) ("C++" . c++)
                      ("asymptote" . asy) ("bash" . sh) ("beamer" . latex)
                      ("calc" . fundamental) ("cpp" . c++) ("ditaa" .
artist)
                      ("dot" . fundamental) ("elisp" . emacs-lisp)
                      ("ocaml" . tuareg) ("screen" . shell-script)
                      ("shell" . sh) ("sqlite" . sql))
 org-occur-hook '(org-first-headline-recenter)
 org-export-before-processing-hook
'(org-blackfriday--reset-org-blackfriday--code-block-num-backticks)
 org-ditaa-jar-path "/usr/local/Cellar/ditaa/0.10/libexec/ditaa0_10.jar"
 org-cycle-hook '(org-cycle-hide-archived-subtrees org-cycle-hide-drawers
                  org-cycle-show-empty-lines
                  org-optimize-window-after-visibility-change)
 org-speed-command-hook '(org-speed-command-activate
                          org-babel-speed-command-activate)
 org-odt-format-inlinetask-function
'org-odt-format-inlinetask-default-function
 org-babel-tangle-lang-exts '(("python" . "py") ("latex" . "tex")
                              ("clojurescript" . "cljs") ("clojure" . "clj")
                              ("emacs-lisp" . "el") ("elisp" . "el"))
 org-export-before-parsing-hook '(org-attach-expand-links)
 org-confirm-shell-link-function 'yes-or-no-p
 org-link-parameters '(("attachment" :follow org-attach-follow :complete
                        org-attach-complete-link)
                       ("eww" :follow org-eww-open :store
org-eww-store-link)
                       ("rmail" :follow org-rmail-open :store
                        org-rmail-store-link)
                       ("mhe" :follow org-mhe-open :store
org-mhe-store-link)
                       ("irc" :follow org-irc-visit :store
org-irc-store-link
                        :export org-irc-export)
                       ("info" :follow org-info-open :export org-info-export
                        :store org-info-store-link)
                       ("gnus" :follow org-gnus-open :store
org-gnus-store-link)
                       ("docview" :follow org-docview-open :export
                        org-docview-export :store org-docview-store-link)
                       ("bibtex" :follow org-bibtex-open :store
                        org-bibtex-store-link)
                       ("bbdb" :follow org-bbdb-open :export org-bbdb-export
                        :complete org-bbdb-complete-link :store
                        org-bbdb-store-link)
                       ("w3m" :store org-w3m-store-link)
                       ("doi" :follow org-link-doi-open :export
                        org-link-doi-export)
                       ("id" :follow org-id-open)
                       ("cite" :follow org-bibtex-goto-citation :export nil)
                       ("elfeed" :follow elfeed-link-open :store
                        elfeed-link-store-link)
                       ("file+sys") ("file+emacs")
                       ("shell" :follow org-link--open-shell)
                       ("news" :follow
                        (closure
                         ((scheme . "news") (--dolist-tail--) org-ts-regexp
                          org-time-stamp-formats org-src-source-file-name
                          org-outline-regexp-bol org-inhibit-startup
                          org-id-link-to-org-use-id org-highlight-links
                          org-comment-string org-agenda-buffer-name
                          clean-buffer-list-kill-buffer-names t)
                         (url arg) (browse-url (concat scheme ":" url) arg))
                        )
                       ("mailto" :follow
                        (closure
                         ((scheme . "mailto") (--dolist-tail--)
org-ts-regexp
                          org-time-stamp-formats org-src-source-file-name
                          org-outline-regexp-bol org-inhibit-startup
                          org-id-link-to-org-use-id org-highlight-links
                          org-comment-string org-agenda-buffer-name
                          clean-buffer-list-kill-buffer-names t)
                         (url arg) (browse-url (concat scheme ":" url) arg))
                        )
                       ("https" :follow
                        (closure
                         ((scheme . "https") (--dolist-tail--) org-ts-regexp
                          org-time-stamp-formats org-src-source-file-name
                          org-outline-regexp-bol org-inhibit-startup
                          org-id-link-to-org-use-id org-highlight-links
                          org-comment-string org-agenda-buffer-name
                          clean-buffer-list-kill-buffer-names t)
                         (url arg) (browse-url (concat scheme ":" url) arg))
                        )
                       ("http" :follow
                        (closure
                         ((scheme . "http") (--dolist-tail--) org-ts-regexp
                          org-time-stamp-formats org-src-source-file-name
                          org-outline-regexp-bol org-inhibit-startup
                          org-id-link-to-org-use-id org-highlight-links
                          org-comment-string org-agenda-buffer-name
                          clean-buffer-list-kill-buffer-names t)
                         (url arg) (browse-url (concat scheme ":" url) arg))
                        )
                       ("ftp" :follow
                        (closure
                         ((scheme . "ftp") (--dolist-tail--) org-ts-regexp
                          org-time-stamp-formats org-src-source-file-name
                          org-outline-regexp-bol org-inhibit-startup
                          org-id-link-to-org-use-id org-highlight-links
                          org-comment-string org-agenda-buffer-name
                          clean-buffer-list-kill-buffer-names t)
                         (url arg) (browse-url (concat scheme ":" url) arg))
                        )
                       ("help" :follow org-link--open-help :store
                        org-link--store-help)
                       ("file" :complete org-link-complete-file)
                       ("elisp" :follow org-link--open-elisp))
 org-latex-format-headline-function
'org-latex-format-headline-default-function
 org-link-elisp-confirm-function 'yes-or-no-p
 org-latex-format-inlinetask-function
'org-latex-format-inlinetask-default-function
 org-html-format-drawer-function '(closure
                                   (htmlize-buffer-places
                                    org-html-format-table-no-css
                                    htmlize-css-name-prefix
htmlize-output-type
                                    htmlize-output-type
htmlize-css-name-prefix
                                    t)
                                   (_name contents) contents)
 org-html-format-headline-function
'org-html-format-headline-default-function
 )

* Re: [BUG] org-cite-insert does not like @conference [9.5.2 (release_9.5.2 @ ~/.emacs.d/git/org-mode/lisp/)]
@ 2022-01-01 16:23 ` András Simonyi
From: András Simonyi @ 2022-01-01 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Chastang; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dear All,

On Sat, 1 Jan 2022 at 14:53, Julien Chastang
<julien.c.chastang@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been experimenting with org-cite. I noticed that I can insert (org-cite-insert) all bibtex types *except* for @conference. [...]
> yet I believe @conference is a valid bibtex type. I noticed that org-bibtex-types has an empty description for the conference type, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I hope I have not missed anything obvious.

it seems that 'conference' is indeed a valid BibTeX entry type, but is
only an alias of 'inproceedings' and was included for some (nowadays
obscure?) compatibility reasons, while biblatex doesn't support it at
all.
Consequently, you can simply use 'inproceedings' instead. If this is
not an option, then you can force org-cite to parse a bibliography as
a (strict) BibTeX bibliography instead of the default biblatex parsing
by using the 'bibtex' extension in the file's name, this should cause
'conference' entries to be treated as valid.

best wishes,
András