* Formatting in citation locator
@ 2022-06-14  7:07 Marvin Gülker
From: Marvin Gülker @ 2022-06-14  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear list,

is it possible to apply formatting within the citation locator? It is
sometimes useful to me. For example, when I want to cite a dissenting
opinion contained in a judgment of the German Constitutonal Court, it is
helpful to highlight that the cited location is a dissenting opinion and
not the majority’s position. Take for example this bibliographic entry:

    @Jurisdiction{bverfg2010vds,
        author = {BVerfG},
        type = {Urteil},
        number = {1 BvR 256/08 u.a.},
        date = {2010-03-02},
        title = {Vorratsdatenspeicherung},
        shortjournal = {BVerfGE},
        journaltitle = {Entscheidungen des Bundesverfassungsgerichts},
        pages = {260-385},
        volume = {125},
        jurisdiction = {de},
        langid = {ngerman}
    }

The decision contains two dissenting opinions at its end. Now I try to
cite the first one like this:

    #+TITLE: Test
    #+AUTHOR: Test
    #+LANGUAGE: de
    #+cite_export: csl /tmp/juristische-schulung.csl
    #+bibliography: /tmp/test.bib

    Abweichende Meinung. [cite:@bverfg2010vds p. 373 [Sondervotum /Schluckebier/],]

juristische-schulung.csl is this style: https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/blob/e22b8a566bad9b4c7f52720f60dd875057a5d210/juristische-schulung.csl

Exporting this to HTML comes out as:

    ¹ BVerfGE 125, 260 (373 [Sondervotum /Schluckebier/])

I would have expected that the word “Schluckebier” – which is the
dissenting judge’s name – is italicised, but instead the raw markup is
exported. I want it italicised, because it is common to italicise names
in German judicial citation styles.

Is this expected behaviour?

Org mode version 9.5 (release_9.5-661-g5e0afb @ /home/quintus/.emacs.d/org-mode/lisp/)
citeproc.el at ba49516265fa24b138346c4918d39d19b4de8a62

  -quintus

--
Dipl.-Jur. M. Gülker | https://mg.guelker.eu | PGP: Siehe Webseite
Passau, Deutschland  | kontakt@guelker.eu    | O<

* Re: Formatting in citation locator
@ 2022-10-19  8:41 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-10-19  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marvin Gülker; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Marvin Gülker <post+orgmodeml@guelker.eu> writes:

> The decision contains two dissenting opinions at its end. Now I try to
> cite the first one like this:
>
>     #+TITLE: Test
>     #+AUTHOR: Test
>     #+LANGUAGE: de
>     #+cite_export: csl /tmp/juristische-schulung.csl
>     #+bibliography: /tmp/test.bib
>
>     Abweichende Meinung. [cite:@bverfg2010vds p. 373 [Sondervotum /Schluckebier/],]
> Exporting this to HTML comes out as:
>
>     ¹ BVerfGE 125, 260 (373 [Sondervotum /Schluckebier/])
>
> I would have expected that the word “Schluckebier” – which is the
> dissenting judge’s name – is italicised, but instead the raw markup is
> exported. I want it italicised, because it is common to italicise names
> in German judicial citation styles.
>
> Is this expected behaviour?

It is expected because we do not allow "]" right after markup. You'd
need to insert an escape character (zero-width space) to force the
italics markup in [Sondervotum /Schluckebier/<zws>].
See https://orgmode.org/manual/Escape-Character.html.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Formatting in citation locator
@ 2022-10-19 17:40   ` M. ‘quintus’ Gülker
From: M. ‘quintus’ Gülker @ 2022-10-19 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Am Mittwoch, dem 19. Oktober 2022 schrieb Ihor Radchenko:
> It is expected because we do not allow "]" right after markup. You'd
> need to insert an escape character (zero-width space) to force the
> italics markup in [Sondervotum /Schluckebier/<zws>].
> See https://orgmode.org/manual/Escape-Character.html.

Thanks for the hint, but it does not work still even if I change the
line to contain the said zero-width space:

    Abweichende Meinung. [cite:@bverfg2010vds p. 373 [Sondervotum /Schluckebier/​],]

The buffer is now fontified as expected, but it does not work when
exported to HTML:

    1 BVerfGE 125, 260 (373 [Sondervotum /Schluckebier/​])

This however I think comes down to the same problem which is described
at <https://list.orgmode.org/87tu425pla.fsf@guelker.eu/>.

  -quintus

--

@ 2022-10-20  5:24     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-10-20  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M. ‘quintus’ Gülker, András Simonyi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

M. ‘quintus’ Gülker <post+orgmodeml@guelker.eu> writes:

> Am Mittwoch, dem 19. Oktober 2022 schrieb Ihor Radchenko:
>> It is expected because we do not allow "]" right after markup. You'd
>> need to insert an escape character (zero-width space) to force the
>> italics markup in [Sondervotum /Schluckebier/<zws>].
>> See https://orgmode.org/manual/Escape-Character.html.
>
> Thanks for the hint, but it does not work still even if I change the
> line to contain the said zero-width space:
>
>     Abweichende Meinung. [cite:@bverfg2010vds p. 373 [Sondervotum /Schluckebier/​],]
>
> The buffer is now fontified as expected, but it does not work when
> exported to HTML:
>
>     1 BVerfGE 125, 260 (373 [Sondervotum /Schluckebier/​])

Confirmed.

> This however I think comes down to the same problem which is described
> at <https://list.orgmode.org/87tu425pla.fsf@guelker.eu/>.

No. It is some bug in org-cite-csl--create-structure.
I am CCing the oc-csl maintainer.
András, can you please take a look?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Formatting in citation locator
@ 2022-10-25  6:44       ` András Simonyi
From: András Simonyi @ 2022-10-25  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: M. ‘quintus’ Gülker, emacs-orgmode

Dear All,

On Thu, 20 Oct 2022 at 07:23, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:
> M. ‘quintus’ Gülker <post+orgmodeml@guelker.eu> writes:
> > Thanks for the hint, but it does not work still even if I change the
> > line to contain the said zero-width space:
> > The buffer is now fontified as expected, but it does not work when
> > exported to HTML:
> No. It is some bug in org-cite-csl--create-structure.
> I am CCing the oc-csl maintainer.
> András, can you please take a look?

first of all, apologies for reacting that late. I had a look now, and
the reason of the behaviour is not an oc-csl bug, but rather a
citeproc-el limitation: formatting is not supported in locators, so if
present it is passed in an unparsed form through the processor and it
depends on the used citeproc output formatter what happens to it
during finalization. In practice, Org markup seems to go through
unchanged when the citeproc output format is set to Org. As a
consequence, a possible workaround for making the html export work
with formatted locators is to circumvent the citeproc-el html
formatter by exporting the Org document first to Org and then the
result to html. Of course, this solution might lose some advanced html
formatting produced by directly using citeproc such as small caps or
style-specific bibliography indentation.

Best wishes,
András

* Re: Formatting in citation locator
@ 2022-10-25 11:17         ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-10-25 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: András Simonyi; +Cc: M. ‘quintus’ Gülker, emacs-orgmode

András Simonyi <andras.simonyi@gmail.com> writes:

>> No. It is some bug in org-cite-csl--create-structure.
>> I am CCing the oc-csl maintainer.
>> András, can you please take a look?
>
> first of all, apologies for reacting that late. I had a look now, and
> the reason of the behaviour is not an oc-csl bug, but rather a
> citeproc-el limitation: formatting is not supported in locators, so if
> present it is passed in an unparsed form through the processor and it
> depends on the used citeproc output formatter what happens to it
> during finalization. In practice, Org markup seems to go through
> unchanged when the citeproc output format is set to Org. As a
> consequence, a possible workaround for making the html export work
> with formatted locators is to circumvent the citeproc-el html
> formatter by exporting the Org document first to Org and then the
> result to html. Of course, this solution might lose some advanced html
> formatting produced by directly using citeproc such as small caps or
> style-specific bibliography indentation.

Maybe file a bug report to citeproc repo?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Formatting in citation locator
@ 2022-10-26 15:49           ` András Simonyi
From: András Simonyi @ 2022-10-26 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: M. ‘quintus’ Gülker, emacs-orgmode

Dear All,

On Tue, 25 Oct 2022 at 13:16, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:
> Maybe file a bug report to citeproc repo?

I've ended up making the necessary changes in citeproc and also posted
a patch here which should enable formatting in locators. Marvin, I'd
appreciate it if you could test it.

best wishes,

András

@ 2022-11-11 20:28             ` M. ‘quintus’ Gülker
From: M. ‘quintus’ Gülker @ 2022-11-11 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: András Simonyi; +Cc: Ihor Radchenko, emacs-orgmode

Dear all,

apologies for my slow reply. It is currently hard for me to find some
time for these issues, but eventually I do manage it.

Am Mittwoch, dem 26. Oktober 2022 schrieb András Simonyi:
> I've ended up making the necessary changes in citeproc and also posted
> a patch here which should enable formatting in locators. Marvin, I'd
> appreciate it if you could test it.

I have updated citeproc-el to 69536c8776dea383951538fd197333bee766d7c7
and org-mode to Org mode version 9.6-pre (release_9.5-1271-gf83e45 @
/home/quintus/.emacs.d/org-mode/lisp/). However, using the material
provided in the OP, I still do not get a formatted footnote, even with
the zero-width space. The outcome still is

  BVerfGE 125, 260 (373 [Sondervotum /Schluckebier/​])

both in HTML and LaTeX.

GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.31, cairo version 1.16.0).

  -quintus

--

@ 2022-11-12 13:04               ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-11-12 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M. ‘quintus’ Gülker; +Cc: András Simonyi, emacs-orgmode

M. ‘quintus’ Gülker <post+orgmodeml@guelker.eu> writes:

> Am Mittwoch, dem 26. Oktober 2022 schrieb András Simonyi:
>> I've ended up making the necessary changes in citeproc and also posted
>> a patch here which should enable formatting in locators. Marvin, I'd
>> appreciate it if you could test it.
>
> I have updated citeproc-el to 69536c8776dea383951538fd197333bee766d7c7
> and org-mode to Org mode version 9.6-pre (release_9.5-1271-gf83e45 @
> /home/quintus/.emacs.d/org-mode/lisp/). However, using the material
> provided in the OP, I still do not get a formatted footnote, even with
> the zero-width space. The outcome still is

We are still discussing the aforementioned patch.
It is not yet merged.
See https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/CAOWRwxDdi8L38+=eqXtXrub3vd5dt4RwnKkGw=x48F4+TNarhg@mail.gmail.com/

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,