* [ANN] Firefox extension for org-protocol and org-capture
@ 2014-02-21 14:06 Olivier Schwander
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Olivier Schwander @ 2014-02-21 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear list,

I would like to announce the first version of an extension to
call org-capture through org-protocol from Firefox:
 - http://chadok.info/firefox-org-capture/

It just does the same thing as the Javascript bookmarklet but without
the need to register the scheme org-protocol:// in Firefox/Gnome/KDE/XDG
(or whatever we are supposed to do this week to manage handler for
protocols). I hope this solution to be easier and more reliable, at
least for Firefox users.

It is not on https://addons.mozilla.org for now, but I will submit it
for review in a few days.

Olivier

* Re: [ANN] Firefox extension for org-protocol and org-capture
@ 2014-02-21 15:43 ` Rasmus
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Rasmus @ 2014-02-21 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Olivier Schwander <olivier.schwander@chadok.info> writes:

> Dear list,
>
> I would like to announce the first version of an extension to
> call org-capture through org-protocol from Firefox:
>  - http://chadok.info/firefox-org-capture/
>
> It just does the same thing as the Javascript bookmarklet but without
> the need to register the scheme org-protocol:// in Firefox/Gnome/KDE/XDG
> (or whatever we are supposed to do this week to manage handler for
> protocols). I hope this solution to be easier and more reliable, at
> least for Firefox users.

So what do I do after installing it?  I get a new button but nothing
happens when I click it.  On this PC I'm using Fx27 and GNU Emacs
24.3.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.7) and Org-mode
version 8.2.5h and i3-wm.  I can test with Gnome when I get home.

–Rasmus

--
This is the kind of tedious nonsense up with which I will not put

* Re: [ANN] Firefox extension for org-protocol and org-capture
@ 2014-02-21 16:41   ` Olivier Schwander
From: Olivier Schwander @ 2014-02-21 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Le 21 Feb 2014 16:43, Rasmus a écrit:
> So what do I do after installing it? I get a new button but nothing
> happens when I click it.

Do you have emacs server and org-protocol enabled ? Something like this
in your .emacs:

(server-start)
(require 'org-protocol)

If not, you should add these two lines and maybe have a look on worg:
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.html

You can also test manually in a shell with:

 emacsclient org-protocol://capture://example.com/Example/

(It is exactly what does the add-on)

Best,

@ 2014-02-21 17:06     ` Xebar Saram
       [not found]       ` <20140222125830.GA17622@zozo.lan>
From: Xebar Saram @ 2014-02-21 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Schwander; +Cc: org mode

wow Olivier

thanks so much, ive been waiting for something like this for ages :), never
managed to get the registering the protocol parts working.

one thing though, is there a way to define which client it oepns? i have
several emacs client opened at once and prefer the extension nowt to use a
current one but pop up a new CLI emacsclient for quick adding which will go
away after i finish capturing, is that possible?

best and thx alot!

thx alot!

@ 2014-02-21 17:48     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-02-21 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Olivier Schwander <olivier.schwander@chadok.info> writes:

> Le 21 Feb 2014 16:43, Rasmus a écrit:
>> So what do I do after installing it? I get a new button but nothing
>> happens when I click it.
>
> Do you have emacs server and org-protocol enabled ? Something like this
> in your .emacs:
>
> (server-start)
> (require 'org-protocol)
>
> If not, you should add these two lines and maybe have a look on worg:
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.html
>
> You can also test manually in a shell with:
>
>  emacsclient org-protocol://capture://example.com/Example/
>
> (It is exactly what does the add-on)

My emacsclient is is /usr/local/bin - I changed that in the addon's
preferences panel.The command line invocation works fine for me -
the button in FF (26.0 fwiw) does not: nothing happens. I uninstalled
and reinstalled the addon a couple of times, restarted FF: no go.
Is there a way to debug the FF end of the equation?

Nick

* Re: [ANN] Firefox extension for org-protocol and org-capture
@ 2014-02-21 23:34       ` Peter Salazar
From: Peter Salazar @ 2014-02-21 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos, olivier.schwander; +Cc: org-mode

I'm having the same issue as Nick: the command line invocation works, but
the button in Firefox has no effect. I changed the emacs binary path to
/usr/bin/aquamacs

@ 2014-02-22  2:22         ` Erik Hetzner
From: Erik Hetzner @ 2014-02-22  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Salazar; +Cc: Nick Dokos, org-mode

At Fri, 21 Feb 2014 18:34:17 -0500,
Peter Salazar wrote:

> I'm having the same issue as Nick: the command line invocation works, but
> the button in Firefox has no effect. I changed the emacs binary path to
> /usr/bin/aquamacs

I had to start emacsclient in a terminal, probably because my emacs
was run with emacs --daemon ? I made a little wrapper script that runs
emacsclient in a terminal.

best, Erik

--
Sent from my free software system <http://fsf.org/>.

* Re: [ANN] Firefox extension for org-protocol and org-capture
@ 2014-02-22  6:14       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-02-22  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> Olivier Schwander <olivier.schwander@chadok.info> writes:
>
>> Le 21 Feb 2014 16:43, Rasmus a écrit:
>>> So what do I do after installing it? I get a new button but nothing
>>> happens when I click it.
>>
>> Do you have emacs server and org-protocol enabled ? Something like this
>> in your .emacs:
>>
>> (server-start)
>> (require 'org-protocol)
>>
>> If not, you should add these two lines and maybe have a look on worg:
>> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.html
>>
>> You can also test manually in a shell with:
>>
>>  emacsclient org-protocol://capture://example.com/Example/
>>
>> (It is exactly what does the add-on)
>>

> My emacsclient is is /usr/local/bin - I changed that in the addon's
> preferences panel.The command line invocation works fine for me -
> the button in FF (26.0 fwiw) does not: nothing happens. I uninstalled
> and reinstalled the addon a couple of times, restarted FF: no go.
> Is there a way to debug the FF end of the equation?

I tried it with FF 27.0 and that seems to work. Thanks, Olivier!
Any possibility of a similar Chromium extension? :-)

--
Nick

* Re: [ANN] Firefox extension for org-protocol and org-capture
@ 2014-02-22 13:02         ` Olivier Schwander
From: Olivier Schwander @ 2014-02-22 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Le 21 Feb 2014 18:34, Peter Salazar a écrit:
> I'm having the same issue as Nick: the command line invocation works, but
> the button in Firefox has no effect. I changed the emacs binary path to
> /usr/bin/aquamacs

Is /usr/bin/aquamacs also doing the job of emacsclient ? What is your
version of Firefox ? Nick manages to use the FF27 but not FF26.

@ 2014-02-22 16:02         ` Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2014-02-22 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Schwander, org mode

hya

yeah i mean several windows sorry :) a check box or an option on the
command line would be epic

thx again!

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 2:58 PM, Olivier Schwander <

@ 2014-02-22 16:27           ` Olivier Schwander
From: Olivier Schwander @ 2014-02-22 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Le 21 Feb 2014 18:22, Erik Hetzner a écrit:
> I had to start emacsclient in a terminal, probably because my emacs
> was run with emacs --daemon ? I made a little wrapper script that runs
> emacsclient in a terminal.

Are you happy with the wrapper ? The other solution would be to give
full control on the command line launched, but I think I will be too
complex.

@ 2014-02-22 18:45             ` Erik Hetzner
From: Erik Hetzner @ 2014-02-22 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Schwander; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

At Sat, 22 Feb 2014 17:27:26 +0100,
Olivier Schwander wrote:

> Le 21 Feb 2014 18:22, Erik Hetzner a écrit:
> > I had to start emacsclient in a terminal, probably because my emacs
> > was run with emacs --daemon ? I made a little wrapper script that runs
> > emacsclient in a terminal.
>
> Are you happy with the wrapper ? The other solution would be to give
> full control on the command line launched, but I think I will be too
> complex.

Hi Olivier,

I did a little more debugging. I think the issue I had is that if the
user starts emacs with `emacs --daemon` and has no current frame for
that emacs, your extension will not work, because the behavior of
emacsclient when no frame exists is to run in the terminal, and this
doesn’t work from Firefox.

Maybe the solution is to use the `-c` option to emacsclient by
default to create a new frame?

best, Erik

--

@ 2014-02-22 18:48       ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2014-02-22 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: org mode

Xebar Saram <zeltakc@gmail.com> writes:

> one thing though, is there a way to define which client it oepns? i have
> several emacs client opened at once and prefer the extension nowt to use
> a current one but pop up a new CLI emacsclient for quick adding which
> will go away after i finish capturing, is that possible?

I have a shell script bound to a key here to allow capture everywhere.
It's like this:

#+begin_src sh
  /usr/local/bin/emacsclient -n -e '(make-orgcapture-frame)'
#+end_src

The function is as follows (I also include my capture settings, which
are relevant here):

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
  (setq org-capture-templates
        (quote
         (("t" "todo" entry (file "refile-orgx.org")
           "* TODO %?\n %U")
          ("T" "todo with link" entry (file "refile-orgx.org")
           "* TODO %?\n %U\n\n%a"))))

  (define-key global-map "\C-cr" 'org-capture)

  ;; to be called from outside using
  ;; emacsclient -n -e '(make-orgcapture-frame)'

  (defun make-orgcapture-frame ()
    "Create a new frame and run org-capture."
    (interactive)
    (make-frame '((name . "remember") (width . 80) (height . 16)
                  (top . 400) (left . 300)
                  (font . "-*-Consolas-normal-normal-normal-*-13-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1")
                  ))
    (select-frame-by-name "remember")
    (delete-other-windows)
    (flet ((switch-to-buffer-other-window (buf) (switch-to-buffer buf)))
      (org-capture nil "t")))

  ;; delete the frame in that case
  (add-hook 'org-capture-after-finalize-hook
            (lambda ()
              (when (equal
                     (cdr (assoc 'name (frame-parameters (selected-frame))))
                     "remember")
                (delete-frame))))
#+END_SRC

Maybe you can adapt this for this firefox plugin.

Alan

* Re: [ANN] Firefox extension for org-protocol and org-capture
@ 2014-03-03 13:12 ` Bastien
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bastien @ 2014-03-03 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Schwander; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Olivier,

Olivier Schwander <olivier.schwander@chadok.info> writes:

> I would like to announce the first version of an extension to
> call org-capture through org-protocol from Firefox:
>  - http://chadok.info/firefox-org-capture/

This is very neat, thanks a lot.

One question from a casual FF user: how can I bind the org-capture
functionality to a key?  (I don't display the Add-on Toolbar.)

 Bastien

* Re: [ANN] Firefox extension for org-protocol and org-capture
@ 2014-04-09 15:52 ` Olivier Schwander
From: Olivier Schwander @ 2014-04-09 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear list,

Following all the nice comments you made after my first announce, I just
uploaded an updated version of the org-capture extension.

You can find it on the main webpage
http://chadok.info/firefox-org-capture/ or on the Mozilla addons
repository https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/addon/org-mode-capture/
(review pending from Mozilla people).

New features:
- Hotkey (default: C-M-r)
- New emacsclient window (using -c)

@ 2014-04-10  9:02   ` Oleh
From: Oleh @ 2014-04-10  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Schwander; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Following all the nice comments you made after my first announce, I just
> uploaded an updated version of the org-capture extension.
>
> You can find it on the main webpage
> http://chadok.info/firefox-org-capture/ or on the Mozilla addons
> repository https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/addon/org-mode-capture/
> (review pending from Mozilla people).

Hi Olivier,

Thanks for the great extension.
No more meddling with bookmarks and keyconfig for me:).

Oleh

* Re: [ANN] Firefox extension for org-protocol and org-capture
@ 2014-04-10 20:20     ` AW
From: AW @ 2014-04-10 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am Donnerstag, 10. April 2014, 11:02:52 schrieb Oleh:
> > Following all the nice comments you made after my first announce, I just
> > uploaded an updated version of the org-capture extension.
> >
> > You can find it on the main webpage
> > http://chadok.info/firefox-org-capture/ or on the Mozilla addons
> > repository https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/addon/org-mode-capture/
> > (review pending from Mozilla people).
>
> Hi Olivier,
>
> Thanks for the great extension.
> No more meddling with bookmarks and keyconfig for me:).
>
> Oleh

OK, but could somebody, who understood this add-on, explain its use?

Olivier wrote some time ago:

> It just does the same thing as the Javascript bookmarklet but without
> the need to register the scheme org-protocol:// in Firefox/Gnome/KDE/XDG
> (or whatever we are supposed to do this week to manage handler for
> protocols). I hope this solution to be easier and more reliable, at
> least for Firefox users.

But this is all I could find and I still do not know, what it is good for?!

Regards,

Alexander

* Re: [ANN] Firefox extension for org-protocol and org-capture
@ 2014-04-10 21:50       ` Olivier Schwander
From: Olivier Schwander @ 2014-04-10 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Le 10 Apr 2014 22:20, AW a écrit:
> > It just does the same thing as the Javascript bookmarklet but without
> > the need to register the scheme org-protocol:// in Firefox/Gnome/KDE/XDG
> > (or whatever we are supposed to do this week to manage handler for
> > protocols). I hope this solution to be easier and more reliable, at
> > least for Firefox users.
>
> But this is all I could find and I still do not know, what it is good for?!

Org-protocol is a system which allows to communicate with org-mode from
outside, in particular, to call org-capture templates from a web
browser. It usually works by registering a new handler
for the scheme org-protocol:// and by generating url of the form
org-protocol://template/data/foo/bar with a javascript bookmarklet. With
Firefox, registering a scheme handler is (according to my experience and
other people comments) painful and subject to random failures. The
firefox addon avoids this pain and just works.

You may also have a look on:
- http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.html
- http://orgmode.org/manual/Capture.html

Regards,

Olivier

* Re: [ANN] Firefox extension for org-protocol and org-capture
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-04-14 19:06 ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-04-14 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Schwander; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2014-02-21 15:06 Olivier Schwander wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I would like to announce the first version of an extension to
> call org-capture through org-protocol from Firefox:
>  - http://chadok.info/firefox-org-capture/
>
> It just does the same thing as the Javascript bookmarklet but without
> the need to register the scheme org-protocol:// in Firefox/Gnome/KDE/XDG
> (or whatever we are supposed to do this week to manage handler for
> protocols). I hope this solution to be easier and more reliable, at
> least for Firefox users.
>
> It is not on https://addons.mozilla.org for now, but I will submit it
> for review in a few days.
>
> Olivier

This sounds like a very useful thing, thank you!

I cannot, however, get this to work. I am not sure what to put into the
Template field on the preference page of the org-capture plugin. Can
anyone give me some advice here?

 Alexander Baier

* Re: [ANN] Firefox extension for org-protocol and org-capture
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-05-04 12:57 ` AW
From: AW @ 2014-05-04 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, Olivier Schwander

Am Freitag, 21. Februar 2014, 15:06:11 schrieb Olivier Schwander:
> Dear list,
>
> I would like to announce the first version of an extension to
> call org-capture through org-protocol from Firefox:
>  - http://chadok.info/firefox-org-capture/
>
> It just does the same thing as the Javascript bookmarklet but without
> the need to register the scheme org-protocol:// in Firefox/Gnome/KDE/XDG
> (or whatever we are supposed to do this week to manage handler for
> protocols). I hope this solution to be easier and more reliable, at
> least for Firefox users.
>
> It is not on https://addons.mozilla.org for now, but I will submit it
> for review in a few days.
>
> Olivier

Olivier,

would you mind to add an example what to do with your addon? "It just does the
same thing as the Javascript bookmarklet" implies that I know the purpose of
this or org-protocol. Unfortunately I have no idea and reading the
explanations of org-protocol does not help much.

So: What can your addon do for a user of firefox and orgmode?

Thank you!

Regards,
Alexander