* convert a simple list of lines each to a orgmode header
@ 2015-09-28 16:52 Xebar Saram
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Xebar Saram @ 2015-09-28 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org mode

Hi all

im looking for a simple way to convert a simple list of lines (i can mark
it first if needed) each to a orgmode header
anyone has such a way?

best

* Re: convert a simple list of lines each to a orgmode header
@ 2015-09-29  3:30 ` Nick Dokos
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-09-29  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Xebar Saram <zeltakc@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all
>
> im looking for a simple way to convert a simple list of lines (i can
> mark it first if needed) each to a orgmode header anyone has such a
> way?

Maybe I'm missing something, but can't you just add asterisks in front
of each line? Maybe with a keyboard macro? Or even a sed script?

There's a reason that org files are plain text.

Nick

* Re: convert a simple list of lines each to a orgmode header
@ 2015-09-29  5:28   ` Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2015-09-29  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: org mode

Hi Nick

well yes i guess :) . but would be cool if this small function was org
aware and thus the asteriks (org header) level would be auto set to the
current sub level.

thx

@ 2015-09-29  6:46   ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2015-09-29  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Xebar Saram <zeltakc@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> im looking for a simple way toconvert a simple list of lines (i can
>> mark it first if needed) each to a orgmode header anyone has such a
>> way?
>>

> Maybe I'm missing something, but can't you just add asterisks in front
> of each line? Maybe with a keyboard macro? Or even a sed script?
>
> There's a reason that org files are plain text.
>
> Nick

Mark the region and do `C-c *'?

Yours,
Christian

* Re: convert a simple list of lines each to a orgmode header
@ 2015-09-29  7:17   ` Manuel Koell
From: Manuel Koell @ 2015-09-29  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know how to do in vim. Select all text and hit I (uppercase i), then
start type.
There is also a way in emacs, but I never tried before:

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html%5Fnode/emacs/Rectangles.html

@ 2015-09-29  7:44 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2015-09-29  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: org mode

On Monday, 28 Sep 2015 at 19:52, Xebar Saram wrote:
> Hi all
>
> im looking for a simple way to convert a simple list of lines (i can mark
> it first if needed) each to a orgmode header
> anyone has such a way?

Mark the region and then: M-% ^ <return> * SPC <return>

The power of org: it's all text (tm)!
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.5.1, Org release_8.3.1-203-g4ca3d3

* Re: convert a simple list of lines each to a orgmode header
@ 2015-09-29  8:00 ` Michael Strey
From: Michael Strey @ 2015-09-29  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mo, 2015-09-28 at 18:52, Xebar Saram wrote:

> im looking for a simple way to convert a simple list of lines (i can
> mark it first if needed) each to a orgmode header
> anyone has such a way?

Mark the region and press C-c *.

--
Michael Strey
http://www.strey.biz * https://twitter.com/michaelstrey

* Re: convert a simple list of lines each to a orgmode header
@ 2015-09-29 10:46     ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2015-09-29 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: Nick Dokos, emacs-org list

I realized that the default binding `C-c *` works only on the current line,
not the whole selection (and the same applies to the opposite `C-c -`).

It would be great to have those commands work over a region too.

But in the meanwhile, you can do either of the below:

- Simply select the region and use `query-replace-regexp`.
- Use a combination of keyboard macros and `C-c *`.
- Use `multiple-cursors`.
- Any other multiple editing method you might prefer.

--
Kaushal Modi

@ 2015-09-29 13:13     ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2015-09-29 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christian is correct.

Selecting a region and doing `C-c *` *does* work. Please ignore my earlier
email. I mixed up some command in org that did not work over region with
`C-c *` :)

--
Kaushal Modi

@ 2015-09-29 16:43   ` Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2015-09-29 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Strey; +Cc: org mode

C-c * is perfect!

thx so much

@ 2015-09-30  1:27       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-09-30  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> writes:

> I realized that the default binding `C-c *` works only on the current line, not the whole selection (and the same applies to the opposite `C-c -`).
>
> It would be great to have those commands work over a region too.

I don't think that's right - at least, when I tried it with a region, it
worked. I just didn't know about it (or, more likely, didn't remember it)
before Christian mentioned it.

The docstring for the function says:

,----
| org-toggle-heading is an interactive Lisp function in
| ‘../org-mode/lisp/org.el’.
|
| (org-toggle-heading &optional NSTARS)
|
| Convert headings to normal text, or items or text to headings.
| If there is no active region, only convert the current line.
`----

Is transient mark mode enabled? I think it's enabled by default
nowadays, but maybe you turned it off?

Nick

* Re: convert a simple list of lines each to a orgmode header
@ 2015-09-30 17:30       ` Thierry Banel
From: Thierry Banel @ 2015-09-30 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Re: convert a simple list of lines each to a orgmode header
@ 2015-10-01  0:07         ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2015-10-01  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-org list