+1 for keeping it in i often debug my org based init config by launching emacs -Q and its great to have org built in for that :) Z On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 7:11 PM, Christian Moe wrote: > > +1. > > (= Keep it in.) > > Yours, > Christian > > Carsten Dominik writes: > > > Dear all, > > > > I'd hate to see Org removed from Emacs. It took a lot of work to get it > > in, and I believe that the vast majority of Emacs users does not install > > packages. For a newbie to get to Emacs and to be able to open a .org > file > > is a big plus. So my vote goes toward keeping it in. > > > > Carsten > > > > On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 10:22 AM, wrote: > > > >> 2 cents from me... > >> > >> Besides I continuously see many users praising Emacs just for Org > >> presence (they even may be completely non-technical users), I'm > >> personally think Org may be removed from Emacs distribution because: > >> > >> 1) all Reuben's argument seems sane; > >> 2) there are situations when someone wants particular version of Org, > >> and it may be not tne one bundled with Emacs. In this case someone > >> should perform extra steps to ensure things are going the right way. > >> When Org will be available only from ELPA, it will be SPOT for such > >> cases. > >> > >> Reuben Thomas writes: > >> > >> > Now that Emacs has had package.el for some years, and Org is > installable > >> > directly from GNU ELPA, would it be a good idea to remove Org from > >> Emacs's > >> > source repository? > >> > > >> > The current situation is left over from before Emacs had package.el, > and > >> I > >> > see no compelling reason to keep it. Org is too big and distinct to be > >> > swallowed by Emacs; it doesn't make much sense to keep its current > >> half-in, > >> > half-out state; so logically it seems sensible to take it out. > >> > > >> > I am asking this question from an Org point of view; I will ask the > Emacs > >> > maintainers separately for their perspective. > >> > > >> > I think it would benefit Emacs too, as there would be less code to > >> maintain > >> > (even though Org is quasi-external at present, it still has to build > >> > successfully as part of an Emacs build), and the Emacs distribution > would > >> > be slimmer for non-Org users. > >> > > >> > Of course, Emacs "distributions" would still be able to include Org > >> > out-of-the box if they wished. > >> > > >> > -- > >> > http://rrt.sc3d.org > >> > > >