* feature request: re-compute cache without evaluation
@ 2012-04-12  8:49 Henning Redestig
From: Henning Redestig @ 2012-04-12  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I write many source blocks that take a fairly long time to execute
(several minutes). Sometimes I find myself wanting to do cosmetic
changes to the code, that I know (for sure) do not change the output,
after the first evaluation. Unfortunately, after having made these
changes the cache obviously does not match the code anymore and I have
to re-evaluate to update the cache. I know it goes against the strict
'reproducible research' idea but still I would like to be able to
re-compute the cache without actually evaluating the block as it is
not efficient to re-evaluate for the sole purpose of updating the
cache.

What do you think?

--
/Henning

* Re: feature request: re-compute cache without evaluation
@ 2012-04-12 12:12 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2012-04-12 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henning Redestig; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Henning Redestig <henning.red@googlemail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I write many source blocks that take a fairly long time to execute
> (several minutes). Sometimes I find myself wanting to do cosmetic
> changes to the code, that I know (for sure) do not change the output,
> after the first evaluation. Unfortunately, after having made these
> changes the cache obviously does not match the code anymore and I have
> to re-evaluate to update the cache. I know it goes against the strict
> 'reproducible research' idea but still I would like to be able to
> re-compute the cache without actually evaluating the block as it is
> not efficient to re-evaluate for the sole purpose of updating the
> cache.
>
> What do you think?

Press C-c C-v a (org-babel-sha1-hash) in the code block, then manually
replace the original hash with the hash returned by that function.

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: feature request: re-compute cache without evaluation
@ 2012-04-12 14:50   ` Henning Redestig
From: Henning Redestig @ 2012-04-12 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

ah, this was easy, thanks!