From: Yu <yu_icq@gmx.at>
Subject: Re: Marking specific elements for folding?
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 15:24:35 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello!

Thanks for the suggestion, but sadly it doesn't entirely fit my
intention; The subheadings in particular kill the purpose of hiding,
because it makes something, of which I want only a "here is something
folded" indication in a full text view show up in the content view and
forces me to introduce subheadings, were I'd rather not have any
(after all, overstructuring is as much a diversion from the actual
workflow as understructuring).

As an alternative (and when the stuff is too unimportant for the main
document but still should be exportable as a separate pdf),
outsourcing parts to an external org file would be okay too, but there
I did not yet find a possibility to refer to a table in a totally
different file, e.g.
  * There is a data table in the main file.
  * In a child file I want to do some processing using Babel (in
particular with gnuplot, but maybe also python, elisp... depending on
the case). Here I want to avoid having to copy the tables back and
forth, but would rather directly use the data from the main file in
the child file (in order to avoid having outdated data in the child
file).

HOWEVER: For the case where I really just want to hide parts of the
documents, that will never be exported as a document and usually
shouldn't be visible while editing, I found a solution right now,
using the /drawers/ functionality.

   : # .. Must add PROPERTIES drawer, because otherwise
   : # .. tree local property definitions will be exported as text.
   : #+DRAWERS: PROPERTIES HIDDEN
   :
   : * Hello World
   :
   : #+TBLNAME: hello-world-table
   :     | This is a data table |
   :
   : # .. This block is folded to just
   : # ..   :HIDDEN:...
   : # .. unless explicitly unfolded.
   : :HIDDEN:
   : #+BEGIN_SRC gnuplot :var data=hello-world-table :file foo.pdf
:<"fold that block" header argument>
   :     set term pdfcairo mono
   :     plot data using 1:2 blablabla
   : #+END_SRC
   : :END:
   :
   : And this table looks like [[foo.pdf]] when folded.

king regards, Yu