Jorge, thanks for the quick response! > * If the cursor is at the end of a list item, then "Return" should >> insert a new list item (i.e., automatically perform org-meta-return) >> > > M- does this. You do not want to do that because you when > you want to finish the list finishes it. > I don't think I explained myself clearly the first time around. The behavior I'm hoping to achieve (i.e., the default bulletting behavior in Google Docs, OSX Notes, etc.) is as follows: ;; Starting with this setup: - one - two + a[CURSOR_HERE] ;; Hitting should produce: - one - two + a + [CURSOR_HERE] ;; Hitting again would then produce: - one - two + a - [CURSOR_HERE] ;; And hitting one last time would produce: - one - two + a [CURSOR_HERE] I know we can already achieve this with some combination of M-, , and M-S-, but this behavior has 2 distinct advantages: 1. The user only needs to remember one key to cycle between all of these actions, rather than 3 key combinations. 2. This behavior is more consistent with the bulleting behavior in other editors, which could make it feel more intuitive for new org-mode users. > * If the cursor is at the beginning of an empty list item, then >> "Return" should outdent the list item (or remove it if it's already at >> the outer-most indentation level) >> > > I am not sure that I understand this but I assume that you would obtain > the same with . It goes back and forth between levels of list so if > you have > > - one > - two > + a > + CURSOR_HERE > > and you hit then it changes to > - one > - two > + a > + CURSOR_HERE > > and then two times (or S- from the beginning) changes it to > > - one > - two > + a > - CURSOR_HERE > Yes, but for the reasons mentioned above, it'd be nice if we could use the to outdent a new list entry as well. > * If the cursor is at the beginning of an empty list item, then >> "Backspace" should delete the list item and move my cursor to the end of >> the previous list item >> > > I guess you could remap to a function that checks if you are > at the beginning of the list and when that is true it does what you want, > otherwise it just calls `delete-backward-char'. But generally I would do > C-a C-k , just two more keystrokes. > Makes sense. This is an easy function to write -- just wanted to make sure there wasn't something that already does this out-of-the-box. > * It'd be nice of these rules could be applied to checkboxes as well >> > > M-S- inserts a check box. In general, I *believe* a lot of folks use lists and checkboxs in similar ways. I certainly do, and I frequently accidentally hit M- while editing a checkbox when I really intend to insert a new checkbox entry. As a result, it seems desirable to create an interface that treats them more similarly (e.g., using a single keypress to auto-insert a new entry). If this doesn't exist yet, I'd be happy to roll it myself. But it'd be nice to avoid re-inventing the wheel here if possible :)