From: Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com>
Cc: Org Mode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: "Orgdown", the new name for the syntax of Org-mode
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 10:12:46 -0500	[thread overview]

I don't have very thoughtful comments but I'll just say that I really do
also like the idea of a formal syntax; that a staged standard seems to make
sense to me, though I'm ignorant about how syntaxes are normally defined
and managed;  and am generally not super enthusiastic about the particular
name that's been chosen.

It seems like there are lots of people thinking in similar ways about
related issues -- that is, whenever it's possible, treating org files as
syntax trees rather than linear text trees.. The org-ml project comes to
mind; so does the recent work on tree-sitter in emacs; and Ihor's recent
thread on changing fontification.  I guess it would be nice if the
smarter-than-me people involved in all these projects are tracking each
other somewhat to make sure efforts converge as much as possible.

For me it would be really great to have better support for an org syntax in
VSCode & in Node; I'm sure other people have their own priority areas.  A
syntax definition would surely help?