On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Jambunathan K wrote: > Matt Price writes: > >> The attached test file shows an org file with tables whose columns >> include substantial amounts of text. The default export to odt is >> pretty ugly in this case, and even in html (where things work to some >> extent) I would rather be able to control to some extent the way that >> long fields wrap. is there a recommended way to do set values like >> table and column width for these two exports? I guess I am >> particularly concerned with the odt export -- can I e.g. adjust a >> default value somewhere in the styles.xml file? I doubt the problem >> will be easily solved but if someone can point me in the right >> direction I'd really appreciate it. > > The issue is not that fields don't wrap well but that the table is big > for the width of the paper and columns are as a result getting > congested. yes, that's a better description. > > I have pushed a fix whereby tables now occupy bigger space [1]. > > I also noticed that columns are unevenly spaced. Now I have updated the > styles so that columns are equally spaced [2]. > > Orgmode exporters can never be layout engines. They are also typically > useful for personal (as opposed to professional) production. In some > sense they are good for handouts, pamphlets and drafts etc. So some > amount of hand fixing and finer adjustments would always be required. That makes sense, of course. My issue in this case is that I update this particular file quite frequently & store it online in a repository. It would be nice if I could code the table formatting into the org file so that I don't have to hand-fix the formatting on each iteration. But on the other hand, maybe a table isn't really the right tool in such a case -- as you suggest, a spreadsheet (or perhaps a structured outline, which org excels at) might be better. > > You choose a smaller font for text in the table with: > > F11->Paragraph Styles->OrgTableContents->Choose a smaller (say 10 pt) > font. that's helpful, and I can presumably save this change to my styles.xml file for future use. > > This will affect the text in all the tables. > > For the sake of documentation, > > Vertical and horizontal grid lines in the exported table correspond to > colgroups (specified in table cookie lines) and by horizontal rulers in > the org table [3]. You can use these grid lines in the Org file and > automatically the exporter will create the grid lines for you. > > If you need really prettier tables you can rely on Table->Autoformat. > > Footnotes: > [1] So there is now a reverse problem of tables with less number of > columns and not having copious text looking too big. But big is better > even if it is ugly. > > The workaround is to rely on Table Properties->Table->Width > > [2] Pre-processor in org-exp.el groks l, r, c cookies but ignores the > colwidth directives. With some changes these colwidth directives could > be used for controlling the relative width of columns on a per-table > basis. This has to wait. If there is sufficient demand I can consider > adding this support. > > The workaround is to rely on Table Properties->Columns->Column Width > > [3] The exporter wouldn't still create vertical lines on the extreme > ends. I believe the default style of tables is so selected based on some > standard styling manual. In my view the problem here is that Openoffie is difficult to work with for some of these formatting tasks -- so really this is an issue that's hard for you to fix. But for instance, I have had a lot of difficulty trying to change the colour of the timestamps -- in fact for now I've given up! But I think the issue might just be that LibreOffice/Openoffice doesn't redraw the document properly after certain style changes, so I can't actually tell whether my style changes (to OrgTimestamp and ORgTimestampWrapper character styles in the style manager, F11) have been effective. sorry that was a digression. Thanks so much for your help on this issue. matt