* BUG? unable to surround subtrees with html tag
@ 2021-06-21 19:07 Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2021-06-21 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

I'm using the most recent wip-cite-new branch of org, with a recent emacs
git (28.0.50).

I would like to be able to surround some portion of a subtree with a tag,
e.g.:

* parent
  some text
#+HTML: <div class="box">
** child 2
  some boxed content
** child 2
   more boxed content
 #+HTML:</div>
** child 3
  unboxed content

However, org seems to close the div for me before the ~** child 2~
headline.

Is this the intended behaviour? And if so is there any way for me to do
this?

* allow HTML block to escape from outline-text div? WAS: BUG? unable to surround subtrees with html tag
@ 2021-06-21 22:01 ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2021-06-21 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 3:07 PM Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm using the most recent wip-cite-new branch of org, with a recent emacs
> git (28.0.50).
>
> I would like to be able to surround some portion of a subtree with a tag,
> e.g.:
>
> * parent
>   some text
> #+HTML: <div class="box">
> ** child 2
>   some boxed content
> ** child 2
>    more boxed content
>  #+HTML:</div>
> ** child 3
>   unboxed content
>
> However, org seems to close the div for me before the ~** child 2~
> headline.
>
> Is this the intended behaviour? And if so is there any way for me to do
> this?

Sorry for the noise, I believe this is user error.   I misread the exported
source code, and firefox's developer tools added the closing tag for me, so
I kept not seeing my mistake. The error here was not realizing that section
contents get wrapped in their own div with class ~outline-text-N~, so my
~<div class="box">~ resulted in malformed HTML.

I don't know if there is a way to somehow slide my own html in between the
outine-text element and the outline-container element for a child subtree.
If someone knows a way to do this, I'd appreciate a pointer, but for now I
think I have to find another way to accomplish this.

thanks & apologies,

Matt

* Re: allow HTML block to escape from outline-text div? WAS: BUG? unable to surround subtrees with html tag
@ 2021-06-22  8:30   ` Richard Lawrence
From: Richard Lawrence @ 2021-06-22  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price, Org Mode

Hi Matt,

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

>> I would like to be able to surround some portion of a subtree with a tag,
>> e.g.:
>>
>> * parent
>>   some text
>> #+HTML: <div class="box">
>> ** child 2
>>   some boxed content
>> ** child 2
>>    more boxed content
>>  #+HTML:</div>
>> ** child 3
>>   unboxed content

> I don't know if there is a way to somehow slide my own html in between the
> outine-text element and the outline-container element for a child subtree.
> If someone knows a way to do this, I'd appreciate a pointer, but for now I
> think I have to find another way to accomplish this.

Is it important that your two headlines in the boxed content export as <h2>?

If not, you could just use a structure like

* Parent
** Box
*** Boxed Child 1
*** Boxed Child 2
** Unboxed Child

and use something like the ignoreheading filter (see Worg's "Org Hacks"
page) to prevent "Box" from producing a separate header, and maybe
various properties (e.g. UNNUMBERED?) to keep the boxed children from
appearing as part of the main outline.

Otherwise, #+INCLUDE comes to mind as a possible solution.

Would one of those options work for you?

--
Best,
Richard

* Re: allow HTML block to escape from outline-text div? WAS: BUG? unable to surround subtrees with html tag
@ 2021-06-22 16:31     ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2021-06-22 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Lawrence; +Cc: Org Mode

On Tue., Jun. 22, 2021, 4:30 a.m. Richard Lawrence, <
richard.lawrence@uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> I would like to be able to surround some portion of a subtree with a
> tag,
> >> e.g.:
> >>
> >> * parent
> >>   some text
> >> #+HTML: <div class="box">
> >> ** child 2
> >>   some boxed content
> >> ** child 2
> >>    more boxed content
> >>  #+HTML:</div>
> >> ** child 3
> >>   unboxed content
>
> > I don't know if there is a way to somehow slide my own html in between
> the
> > outine-text element and the outline-container element for a child
> subtree.
> > If someone knows a way to do this, I'd appreciate a pointer, but for now
> > think I have to find another way to accomplish this.
>
> Is it important that your two headlines in the boxed content export as
> <h2>?
>
> If not, you could just use a structure like
>
> * Parent
> ** Box
> *** Boxed Child 1
> *** Boxed Child 2
> ** Unboxed Child
>
> and use something like the ignoreheading filter (see Worg's "Org Hacks"
> page) to prevent "Box" from producing a separate header, and maybe
> various properties (e.g. UNNUMBERED?) to keep the boxed children from
> appearing as part of the main outline.
>
> Otherwise, #+INCLUDE comes to mind as a possible solution.
>
> Would one of those options work for you?

I think the :ignore: hack will not work quite right, but the others I had
not thought of at all, and I will try them out! Thank you,

Matt

@ 2021-07-01 16:18   ` Timothy
From: Timothy @ 2021-07-01 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

>> I would like to be able to surround some portion of a subtree with a tag,

> Sorry for the noise, I believe this is user error.   I misread the exported
> source code, and firefox's developer tools added the closing tag for me, so
> I kept not seeing my mistake. The error here was not realizing that section
> contents get wrapped in their own div with class ~outline-text-N~, so my
> ~<div class="box">~ resulted in malformed HTML.
>
> I don't know if there is a way to somehow slide my own html in between the
> outine-text element and the outline-container element for a child subtree.
> If someone knows a way to do this, I'd appreciate a pointer, but for now I
> think I have to find another way to accomplish this.

As it so happens, this is something which has come up for me too. I
think in the future it could be worth adding a property that can be used
to wrap a section in certain HTML tag(s).

For now though... the best solution would be what Richard suggests.

--
Timothy

* Re: allow HTML block to escape from outline-text div? WAS: BUG? unable to surround subtrees with html tag
@ 2021-07-06  3:58     ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2021-07-06  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: Org Mode