* state of the art for html5 presentations?
@ 2012-09-10 21:13 Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2012-09-10 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

I keep returning to this every few months, hoping things have gotten a
little easier -- what tools are people using right now to make html5
presentations out of their org files?

thanks for your help!

Matt

* Re: state of the art for html5 presentations?
@ 2012-09-18  7:22 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-09-18  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Matt,

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

> I keep returning to this every few months, hoping things have gotten a
> little easier -- what tools are people using right now to make html5
> presentations out of their org files?

The thing is that there are many HTML5 presentation systems.

I think the most widely used is org-s5 by Eric:
  https://github.com/eschulte/org-S5

but I guess you know this one already.

--
 Bastien

* Re: state of the art for html5 presentations?
@ 2012-09-18 11:48   ` Fabrice Popineau
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2012-09-18 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Org Mode

[[http://imakewebthings.com/deck.js/][Deck.js HTML Slides ]]
[[http://webf1.soc.port.ac.uk/2011/style/lecture/#s%3D1][[WebF1: Web
Foundations 1]]
[[http://fooo.fr/~vjeux/github/dassault_presentation/#slide-0][JavascriptRocks]]
[[http://bartaz.github.com/impress.js/#/bored/][Creating stunning
visualizations with impress.js]]
[[http://dontkry.com/jmpress.js/#/home][jmpress.js]]

There is this :
https://github.com/kinjo/org-impress-js.el
that could be useful to impress/jmpress .

Best regards,

Fabrice

--
Fabrice Popineau
-----------------------------

* Re: state of the art for html5 presentations?
@ 2012-09-18 14:54     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-09-18 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Popineau; +Cc: Bastien, Org Mode

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 6:48 AM, Fabrice Popineau
<fabrice.popineau@supelec.fr> wrote:
> [[http://imakewebthings.com/deck.js/][Deck.js HTML Slides ]]
> [[http://webf1.soc.port.ac.uk/2011/style/lecture/#s%3D1][[WebF1: Web
> Foundations 1]]
> [[http://fooo.fr/~vjeux/github/dassault_presentation/#slide-0][Javascript
> Rocks]]
> [[http://bartaz.github.com/impress.js/#/bored/][Creating stunning
> visualizations with impress.js]]
> [[http://dontkry.com/jmpress.js/#/home][jmpress.js]]
>
> There is this :
> https://github.com/kinjo/org-impress-js.el
> that could be useful to impress/jmpress .

Has anyone used this? I just cloned it and created the example
presentation. For Chromium, Google-Chrome, and Firefox on Linux, I get
messages that my browser is not supported. Is there some specific
plugin I'm supposed to have for this to work? What is it, exactly,
that it's finding missing?

John

@ 2012-09-18 15:20       ` Puneeth Chaganti
From: Puneeth Chaganti @ 2012-09-18 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Bastien, Fabrice Popineau, Org Mode

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 8:24 PM, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:
[..]

> Has anyone used this? I just cloned it and created the example
> presentation. For Chromium, Google-Chrome, and Firefox on Linux, I get
> messages that my browser is not supported. Is there some specific
> plugin I'm supposed to have for this to work? What is it, exactly,
> that it's finding missing?

You'll need to clone impress.js repo and copy over the js and css
directories, to the directory of your html file.  The README gives
instructions for the same [
https://github.com/kinjo/org-impress-js.el#quick-start ]

* Re: state of the art for html5 presentations?
@ 2012-09-18 16:52         ` John Hendy
                             ` (3 more replies)
From: John Hendy @ 2012-09-18 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Puneeth Chaganti; +Cc: Bastien, Fabrice Popineau, Org Mode

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 10:20 AM, Puneeth Chaganti <punchagan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 8:24 PM, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:
> [..]
>>
>> Has anyone used this? I just cloned it and created the example
>> presentation. For Chromium, Google-Chrome, and Firefox on Linux, I get
>> messages that my browser is not supported. Is there some specific
>> plugin I'm supposed to have for this to work? What is it, exactly,
>> that it's finding missing?
>
> You'll need to clone impress.js repo and copy over the js and css
> directories, to the directory of your html file.  The README gives
> instructions for the same [
> https://github.com/kinjo/org-impress-js.el#quick-start ]

Got ahead of myself and missed that. This. Is. Awesome.

* Re: state of the art for html5 presentations?
@ 2012-09-18 19:43           ` Fabrice Popineau
                             ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2012-09-18 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Org Mode, Bastien

Speaking for myself, I'm tired of how cumbersome it is to compile
latex+beamer+tikz.
Huge compilation time.
I'm craving for something that will avoid this compilation step.
Currently, the only thing that prevents me to switch my slides to
pure HTML(5) is the lack of some tool to program my drawings
(some kind of translator from lisp to svg or raphael).

Fabrice

@ 2012-09-18 19:47           ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2012-09-18 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Fabrice Popineau, Org Mode, Bastien

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 12:52 PM, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 10:20 AM, Puneeth Chaganti <punchagan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 8:24 PM, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:
>> [..]
>>>
>>> Has anyone used this? I just cloned it and created the example
>>> presentation. For Chromium, Google-Chrome, and Firefox on Linux, I get
>>> messages that my browser is not supported. Is there some specific
>>> plugin I'm supposed to have for this to work? What is it, exactly,
>>> that it's finding missing?
>>
>> You'll need to clone impress.js repo and copy over the js and css
>> directories, to the directory of your html file.  The README gives
>> instructions for the same [
>> https://github.com/kinjo/org-impress-js.el#quick-start ]
>
> Got ahead of myself and missed that. This. Is. Awesome.

I agree that impress.js is pretty cool! I have been using kinjo's
org-export-as-html5presentation and finding that it works really well
(http://hpda.hackinghistory.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/03-public-sphere.html#slide1).
 something I like a lot about it is that the css is embedded in the
presentation -- this makes it easy to post to a website & have it work
automatically.  I can't tell immediately if it's possible to set the
CSS stylesheet & impress.js location with a custom variable or not.
If it is possible -- it would b pretty fantastic.  It looks like it
ought to be possible to integrate into wordpress, too -- so I could in
principle w/ some modifications to org2blog/wp, just post
presentations to my class blog -- god that would be fantastic!  Maybe
next year though.

Whew, it's pretty exciting really.

Thanks for the links, and if anyone is using it in those ways I'd love
to hear about it!

@ 2012-09-18 19:58             ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-09-18 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Popineau; +Cc: Bastien, Org Mode

Fabrice Popineau <fabrice.popineau@supelec.fr> wrote:

> Speaking for myself, I'm tired of how cumbersome it is to compile latex+beamer+tikz.
> Huge compilation time.

I can compile a 20-slide file (no tikz) in less than a second.
Of course, larger slide decks will take longer and I'm sure tikz
requires considerable CPU time, but what do you mean by "huge"?
Also how big a slide deck are you talking about and what percentage
of the slides use tikz?

Nick

PS. It's all idle curiosity on my part.

* Re: state of the art for html5 presentations?
@ 2012-09-18 20:17               ` Fabrice Popineau
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2012-09-18 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Bastien, Org Mode

> I can compile a 20-slide file (no tikz) in less than a second.
> Of course, larger slide decks will take longer and I'm sure tikz
> requires considerable CPU time, but what do you mean by "huge"?
> Also how big a slide deck are you talking about and what percentage
> of the slides use tikz?

About 1500 slides (350 actual frames with overlays) for a 20 hours course.
LuaTeX + opentype fonts makes it even slower. Some complex slides with
animate algorithms (mergesort, ford fulkerson, stuff like that)
Ok, I can split it in lectures (albeit that's not so simple to use
\lectureonly without
breaking toc). I can use the externalize library. Etc.

Anyway, what's bother me on the long run is that it is only slides. The
browser is able
to render / typeset the text and graphics by itself. No need to resort to
such complex
compilation (there is MathJax, and stuff like Raphael.js and jQuery that
could do the job).
The more powerful your tool is (luatex, opentype fonts etc) the more you
lose
time with details.

Fabrice

@ 2012-09-18 21:15                 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-09-18 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Popineau; +Cc: Bastien, Org Mode

Fabrice Popineau <fabrice.popineau@supelec.fr> wrote:

>     I can compile a 20-slide file (no tikz) in less than a second.
>     Of course, larger slide decks will take longer and I'm sure tikz
>     requires considerable CPU time, but what do you mean by "huge"?
>     Also how big a slide deck are you talking about and what percentage
>     of the slides use tikz?
>
> About 1500 slides (350 actual frames with overlays) for a 20 hours course.
> LuaTeX + opentype fonts makes it even slower. Some complex slides with
> animate algorithms (mergesort, ford fulkerson, stuff like that)
> Ok, I can split it in lectures (albeit that's not so simple to use \lectureonly without
> breaking toc). I can use the externalize library. Etc.

Yikes! That's a whole 'nother ballgame. Even if I had something that
big, I don't think I could manage it in a single file.

Nick

* Re: state of the art for html5 presentations?
@ 2012-09-19  2:43                   ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2012-09-19  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Bastien, Fabrice Popineau, Org Mode

Wow, that's a lot of options! I really liked impress.js, and I'm glad to
know there's an org mode "bridge" to it :)

I've only used showoff in the past (https://github.com/schacon/showoff) and
it uses one or more markdown files as the source for the presentation. No
need to write HTML/CSS/JS if you don't want to. It's simple and works very
well.

Since it's markdown, I'm sure using org could be very possible, since org
can export to markdown. Perhaps there's even a library out there that
already adapts showoff to org?

@ 2012-09-19  8:05           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-09-19  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Fabrice Popineau, Org Mode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

>> You'll need to clone impress.js repo and copy over the js and css
>> directories, to the directory of your html file.  The README gives
>> instructions for the same [
>> https://github.com/kinjo/org-impress-js.el#quick-start ]

Great!  I added this to Worg.

--
 Bastien

* Re: state of the art for html5 presentations?
                             ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-09-19  8:35           ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-09-19  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Fabrice Popineau, Org Mode, Bastien

* Re: state of the art for html5 presentations?
@ 2012-09-19 14:19             ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-09-19 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: Fabrice Popineau, Org Mode, Bastien

On the note of presentations... one thing to spice things up I've used
is impress!ve:
- http://impressive.sourceforge.net/

It's pretty cool! Fades, presenter-only displayed timer, zoom, mouse
spotlight, drag to create highlight boxes, a OSX-like zoom out on all
slides to select one you want. Anyway, not really related to html5,
but for those wanting things like impress.js just because pdf
presentations can be "boring," impress!ve might be a middle ground?

John

* Re: state of the art for html5 presentations?
@ 2012-09-19 14:31               ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-09-19 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Bastien, Fabrice Popineau, Org Mode