On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 11:55 AM, John Kitchin wrote: > > David Talmage writes: > > > On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 11:28 AM, Eric S Fraga wrote: > > > >> On Friday, 9 Dec 2016 at 15:29, John Kitchin wrote: > >> > Hi all, > >> > > >> > I have an idea for how I could transclude "copies" or links to > >> > >> [...] > >> > >> > Any thoughts? Do you see any potential issues? > >> > >> Potentially very interesting and useful idea. Some thoughts/issues: > >> > >> > > I'm interested in this, too. In my lab notebook org file, I have a > section > > that should be put into its own file and either linked or transcluded in > > several places. Transclusion would be better because I could see the > text > > without following a link. It suits my lazy nature. ;-) > > It turns out to be pretty easy to see the text; that can be done with a > simple overlay. What is not easy, is to be able to edit the text, or use > the text with org-machinery, e.g. org-map-entries. The text in the > overlay is not visible to the org-machinery, so you can not get > properties, edit it, etc... Editing could be made possible with a > special buffer, but it doesn't seem likely that you can make the overlay > display work with many org-functions. > Have you had an opportunity to work o nthis at all? For my purposes, even having the transcluded text visible in a buffer + included in an export would be a major improvement over, say, a link. attempting to edit would, I guess, pop up a special narrowed buffer that edits the original text. Those 3 features together would cover maybe 90% of what I personally need, so if you have the code for this, I would really love to see it. Thank you! Matt