Don't have much bandwidth where i am on vacation, but for humanists a more robust and reproducible export to odt and html is org's main weakness, I think. Zotxt is great but takes a bit if setting up, and of course zotero refa are less portable than bibtex libraries. Moving to org-ref probably makes sense but lack of built-in odt support makes that a bit intimidating, esp for a zotero user whose bibtex setup is a little inflexible. I hope you post your slides! M On Tue, Aug 25, 2015, 09:52 John Kitchin wrote: > (personal bias warning;) I think org-ref+helm-bibtex is a best in class > solution to citation management for org-mode/LaTeX users. It provides > functional cite links that connect to web of science, scopus, pubmed, > and others. It provides utilities to download bibtex and org-bibtex > entries from a doi, and also to download the pdf if it knows how. It > also provides a lot of bibtex utilities to change title cases, etc... It > provides some limited support for export to other formats like html, but > that is an area that certainly could be improved, as well as support for > other formats. It would be nice to consider expanding the bibliography > database formats supported (this would also require expanding the export > code). > > There is a cite element that has been developed in org-mode that may one > day supercede the link based approach that org-ref uses. Much of the > functionality of org-ref could be retained when that happens. > > What would make it even better? Integrated smart search, e.g. find other > documents that cite a reference, find similar documents/references based > on what you have written. > > Most important maybe: figure out how to merge narrative text in version > control! I don't want to write a sentence per line just to use the > default merge with git. I really want a word-based track-change like > diff, and merge. > > Erik Hetzner writes: > > > Hi all, > > > > I am going to be giving a talk on how Emacs can help support scholars, > > especially those who are using plain text and doing reproducible > > research, at “Emacsconf 2015” in San Francisco this Saturday (the > > 29th). > > > > I have done some work on managing references using Emacs & pandoc, but > > what I’d like to focus on in this talk is why Emacs is a great tool > > for scholarly writers (both scientists and humanists) and what Emacs > > developers should be concentrating on to make it an even better tool > > for the scholarly community. > > > > I’m wondering if you any of you might have any suggestions about what > > you would like to see Emacs do better to support the scholarly writing > > community. > > > > Thanks for any help you can provide! > > > > best, Erik Hetzner > > -- > Professor John Kitchin > Doherty Hall A207F > Department of Chemical Engineering > Carnegie Mellon University > Pittsburgh, PA 15213 > 412-268-7803 > @johnkitchin > http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu > >