* Org mode or Org-mode or org-mode or org?
@ 2013-07-31 13:30 Tom Slee
From: Tom Slee @ 2013-07-31 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On the orgmode.org site this thing is called "Org mode" while on worg and
in the papers on literate programming with org it is called "Org-mode" with
a hyphen. On the email list it is commonly called "org-mode" (lower case o,
hyphen) or just org.

Is there any consensus about the proper name by which to refer to
[oO]rg[-]mode in a formal context?

Tom

* Re: Org mode or Org-mode or org-mode or org?
@ 2013-07-31 14:45 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-07-31 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Tom Slee wrote:
> On the orgmode.org site this thing is called "Org mode" while on worg and
> in the papers on literate programming with org it is called "Org-mode" with
> a hyphen. On the email list it is commonly called "org-mode" (lower case o,
> hyphen) or just org.
>
> Is there any consensus about the proper name by which to refer to
> [oO]rg[-]mode in a formal context?

Personally, I follow the convention used in the Emacs manual, that is Dired
mode, Hideshow mode, Org mode, etc.

Extract:

  ╭────
  │ 25.9 Org Mode
  │ =============
  │
  │ Org mode is a variant of Outline mode for using Emacs as an organizer
  │ and/or authoring system.  Files with names ending in the extension
  │ `.org' are opened in Org mode (*note Choosing Modes::).  To explicitly
  │ switch to Org mode, type `M-x org-mode'.
  │
  │    In Org mode, as in Outline mode, each entry has a heading line that
  │ starts with one or more `*' characters.  *Note Outline Format::.  In
  │ addition, any line that begins with the `#' character is treated as a
  │ comment.
  ╰────

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Org mode or Org-mode or org-mode or org?
@ 2013-07-31 15:06   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-07-31 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 04:45:53PM +0200, Sebastien Vauban wrote:
> Tom Slee wrote:
> > On the orgmode.org site this thing is called "Org mode" while on worg and
> > in the papers on literate programming with org it is called "Org-mode" with
> > a hyphen. On the email list it is commonly called "org-mode" (lower case o,
> > hyphen) or just org.
> >
> > Is there any consensus about the proper name by which to refer to
> > [oO]rg[-]mode in a formal context?
>
> Personally, I follow the convention used in the Emacs manual, that is Dired
> mode, Hideshow mode, Org mode, etc.

AFAIR, Carsten prefers it as Org mode too.

That said, I think the names are somewhat context dependent.  The manual
prefers Org mode, following the convention: <Name> mode.  On the list
you will see people use org-mode because that is the actual command to
turn on Org mode.  Sometimes this is shortened as org, or Org.  Academic
discussions of Org mode are bound by the rules of grammar.  I guess that
is why you might Org-mode instead of org-mode: proper nouns are
capitalised.

:)

--
Suvayu

* Re: Org mode or Org-mode or org-mode or org?
@ 2013-07-31 15:09     ` Tom Slee
From: Tom Slee @ 2013-07-31 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode