Hi Michael, Yes, I think this is a way to my previous question. But what I really want to achieve is to loop through a list of server names and execute a script on them. Say I have 20 different database server. How can I do a loop with each server? Regards, David On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 5:34 PM Michael Welle wrote: > Hello, > > Xi Shen writes: > > > Hi, > > > > http://orgmode.org/manual/var.html > > > > This wiki explains how to use variable inside a src block. But I wonder > if > > it is possible to specify variable to the variables in the src > definition. > > > > E.g. for the sql src block, I want to execute a script on different > server. > > I want to define a variable for the ":dbhost" variable. > did you think about something like this? > > > (setq hmw/dbhost "db1") > > #+BEGIN_SRC sql :dbhost (symbol-value 'hmw/dbhost) :dbuser weather > :database environment :engine postgresql > select time, temperature from weather limit 20; > #+END_SRC > > Regards > hmw > >