* starting value for ordered lists?
@ 2012-08-08 18:24 Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2012-08-08 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

in the org manual (http://orgmode.org/manual/Plain-lists.html) i read that
I can start an ordered list at a particular number using an [@20] syntax:

If you want a list to start with a different value (e.g. 20), start the
text of the item with [@20]4<http://orgmode.org/manual/Plain-lists.html#fn-4>.
Those constructs can be used in any item of the list in order to enforce a
particular numbering.

I think I'm not understanding somehting though, as if I try this:

[@13]. thirteenth item

org doesn't seem to recognize the line as a list item.  I'm running a
pretty recent org 7.8.11 from git.  I'm sure I'm just reading the manual
wrong -- any hints? thanks
Matt

* Re: starting value for ordered lists?
@ 2012-08-08 18:46 ` Andrew Young
From: Andrew Young @ 2012-08-08 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Matt,

You have to start the text of the item with [@13].
Try:
13. [@13] this is the 13th item

Sincerely,
Andrew

@ 2012-08-08 19:03 ` Jonathan Leech-Pepin
From: Jonathan Leech-Pepin @ 2012-08-08 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Org Mode

Hello,

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in the org manual (http://orgmode.org/manual/Plain-lists.html) i read that I
> can start an ordered list at a particular number using an [@20] syntax:
>
> If you want a list to start with a different value (e.g. 20), start the text
> of the item with [@20]4. Those constructs can be used in any item of the
> list in order to enforce a particular numbering.
>
> I think I'm not understanding somehting though, as if I try this:
>
> [@13]. thirteenth item

The [@#] syntax has to come after the list item and before the item's
text.  The following was created using Alt+Enter on each line, and
typing the content, the numbers automatically recalculate when you
create the next entry with Alt+Enter.

#+begin_src org
  1. Test item 1
  3. [@3] Item 3
  4.
  10. [@10] Item 10
  11.
#+end_src

> org doesn't seem to recognize the line as a list item.  I'm running a pretty
> recent org 7.8.11 from git.  I'm sure I'm just reading the manual wrong --
> any hints? thanks
> Matt

Jon