I posted a Pandoc request: https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/8752 On Wed, Apr 5, 2023 at 2:04 PM Ihor Radchenko wrote: > Morgan Willcock writes: > > > If ox-md is trying to do the same thing as Markdown.pl then it doesn't > > really make sense to compare it to CommonMark. > > Most likely, ox-md is following Markdown.pl simply because there was no > better standard at the time ox-md was written. > > I now looked up a comparison between markdown flavours (see the attached) > and I do not see why we should abandon following the original markdown. > CommonMark and other markdown flavours usually extend things on top of > the original implementation. So, following Markdown.pl should be the > most universal option. We leave more specific exporters for advanced > markdown flavours to external packages. > > > The only point am I trying to make is that both ox-md and Pandoc need to > > deal in the same unambiguous specification in order to inter-operate. > > > > For Pandoc, the matching specification needs to be selected to ensure > > that the correct one is used, but nothing based on Markdown.pl can be > > unambiguous in this scenario because Markdown.pl has no unambiguous > > specification. > > Indeed. > I tried to make this point more clear in the attached patch for Org manual. > > > -- > Ihor Radchenko // yantar92, > Org mode contributor, > Learn more about Org mode at . > Support Org development at , > or support my work at >