It seems i'm flooding John's inbox trying to send back this message into the discussion. I'm deeply sorry for that. I did what John suggested: - git clone... - cd to the repository - make (which i think does two things, byte-compilation and generating org-loaddefs.el) - add lisp dir to load-path It did worked since M-x org-version shows the right path (and version), but i'm used to browse the Info manual quite regularly. Before switching to GNU/Linux I used to install the ELPA package on a freshly unpacked Emacs (trunk builds for Windows); it was a pretty straightforward process and it seems to take care of everything. I'm not going to do that again since the ELPA package comes from the maint branch. Achim Gratz writes: > The default install method installs into site-lisp, not into the Emacs > install directory. The reason I keep advocating that method is that > conveniently the buil-in load-path is already set up to do the right > thing from the very beginning (you only need to remember to require > org-loaddefs from your .emacs) and you can fall back easily to the > built-in Org from Emacs itself if needed. Thanks for your reply. Which one is the default install method? If it's 'make install', do i need to tweak local.mk because of the location of my Emacs installation (as explained here: http://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-build-system.html#sec-4-1-3)? In my system (Debian) Emacs is in /usr/local/. And does this method allows to have the latest info manual without overriding the built-in org-mode installation? 2014-06-30 18:51 GMT-04:00 John Hendy : > On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 5:44 PM, Vicente Vera > wrote: > > Hello. I'm quite confused with the installation options. > > > > Recently started out a Debian base system and compiled Emacs from the bzr > > repository. That came out fine, so I ran 'make install' and now Emacs > > 24.4.50 sits in /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/share, etc. > > > > I want to install the master branch of org-mode. Currently I followed > these > > steps: > > > > - cd ~/org_from_git/ > > - git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git > > > > ¿Do i need to tweak 'local.mk' so the prefix variable points to > > /usr/local/share before running make? > > ¿Which make option should i use (besides 'make autoloads')? > > Did you search around a bit? There's lots of posts with people's > setups. You certainly *can* install over the top of the Org that came > with your version of Emacs (pointing it to install to > /usr/local/share, I suppose), though I've never gone that route. Some > mailing list examples from googling about Orgmode git installation: > - Achim's post: > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2013-05/msg00609.html > - My setup: > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2014-04/msg00396.html > > From mine, you'll note I never "install" Org -- just clone to a > directory, make, and tell Emacs about it in .emacs... done! > > > John > > > > > Thanks in advance. >