* Customize org-todo-repeat-to-state to return to previous TODO state
@ 2014-11-21 18:00 Grant Schissler
From: Grant Schissler @ 2014-11-21 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Org-mode Users,

I am trying to change the behavior of marking a repeated task as DONE.  I
would like the task to return to the current TODO state rather than the first in
the TODO sequence or a fixed state.  For example,

** APPT Lunch with Mallorie
<2014-12-04 Thu 12:00 +1w>

should return to APPT, not TODO or some other predefined state as in the
current behavior:

TODO Lunch with Mallorie
- State "DONE"       from "APPT"       [2014-11-21 Fri 10:56]
<2014-12-11 Thu 12:00 +1w>

I am sure that customizing the org-todo-repeat-to-state will do the trick, but
sadly, I have had the time to learn elisp well enough to perform this.

Any help would be much appreciated.  Please let me know if you have
questions.

Thanks for the support and to all those that make org-mode great!
Grant

* Re: Customize org-todo-repeat-to-state to return to previous TODO state
@ 2014-11-21 20:56 ` Brady Trainor
From: Brady Trainor @ 2014-11-21 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Schissler; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Grant Schissler <grant.schissler@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Org-mode Users,
>
> I am trying to change the behavior of marking a repeated task as DONE.  I
> would like the task to return to the current TODO state rather than the first in
> the TODO sequence or a fixed state.  For example,
>
> ** APPT Lunch with Mallorie
> <2014-12-04 Thu 12:00 +1w>
>
> should return to APPT, not TODO or some other predefined state as in the
> current behavior:
>
> TODO Lunch with Mallorie
> - State "DONE"       from "APPT"       [2014-11-21 Fri 10:56]
> <2014-12-11 Thu 12:00 +1w>
>
> I am sure that customizing the org-todo-repeat-to-state will do the trick, but
> sadly, I have had the time to learn elisp well enough to perform this.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.  Please let me know if you have
> questions.
>
> Thanks for the support and to all those that make org-mode great!
> Grant

I haven't tried any of the following, and there may be better solutions, but...

It looks like the variable you mention reads as (via C-h v org-todo-repeat-to-state RET and follow link to source),

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(defcustom org-todo-repeat-to-state nil
  "The TODO state to which a repeater should return the repeating task.
By default this is the first task in a TODO sequence, or the previous state
in a TODO_TYP set.  But you can specify another task here.
alternatively, set the :REPEAT_TO_STATE: property of the entry."
  :group 'org-todo
  :version "24.1"
  :type '(choice (const :tag "Head of sequence" nil)
		 (string :tag "Specific state")))

#+END_SRC

It looks like this variable will not allow to recall the previous TODO state. But you could make a separate TODO_TYP set.

Depending on whether you define your TODO states in an init file or per-file base, you could try an extra line in your org file "header",

#+BEGIN_SRC org
,#+TYP_TODO: APPT | DONE
#+END_SRC

or an extra block in your org-todo-keywords variable

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(setq org-todo-keywords '((type "APPT" "|" "DONE")))
#+END_SRC

Another solution according to the above would be to use a property drawer,

#+BEGIN_SRC org
,** APPT Lunch with Mallorie
<2014-12-04 Thu 12:00 +1w>
:PROPERTIES:
:REPEAT_TO_STATE: APPT
:END:
#+END_SRC

You can get this via C-c C-x p repeat_to_state RET APPT RET.

Interestingly, there is a function in the same source file, org-auto-repeat-maybe, which suggests that it does exactly what you ask for.

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
org-auto-repeat-maybe is a compiled Lisp function in `org.el'.

(org-auto-repeat-maybe DONE-WORD)

Check if the current headline contains a repeated deadline/schedule.
If yes, set TODO state back to what it was and change the base date
of repeating deadline/scheduled time stamps to new date.
This function is run automatically after each state change to a DONE state.

[back]
#+END_EXAMPLE

I can see in the definition of the function it has an expression org-last-state, so maybe that suggests there is a way built-in (or intended to?), but I only took that quick look at the source.

--
Brady

* Re: Customize org-todo-repeat-to-state to return to previous TODO state
@ 2014-11-25  5:10   ` Grant Schissler
From: Grant Schissler @ 2014-11-25  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode