* orgmode as a service
@ 2012-03-27 13:39 Brian Dunbar
From: Brian Dunbar @ 2012-03-27 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm orgmode newbie.  Before I reinvent a wheel, going to ask if this has already
been done: 'orgmode as a service'.

Or perhaps it doesn't need to be done and I'm tilting at yet another windmill.

Comments welcome.

Assume a workgroup of people - they use emacs / orgmode.  Mostly Linux and OS X,
but there might be a weirdo or two still using Solaris.

They get TODOs from people who do -not- use emacs: managers, project managers,
Windows users, end users ... like that.

The input arrives (mostly) via email.  'Attend Meeting Foo at 08:00 p.m.' 'Fix
Bug umptyfratz this week'.

orgmode user manually inputs this data into emacs.

I had a few free minutes and thought 'there must be a better way': 20 minutes a
day to organize tasks * Y people on a team = a lot of wasted hours.

Is there a programatic method already coded up to take bits delivered to a
server, bang out the appropriate .org file and deliver it to the orgmode user?

Assume

data > orgmodeservice@myhost.company.com

orgmodeservice would be a daemon (perl, lisp, whatever) that mangles the data.

# data
user: Adele@company.com
what: Task - record new hit single
when: June 01, 2012

becomes
adele.org > adele's desktop

#adele.org
* TODO Record new hit single <2012-06-01 Fri>

Am I Don Quixote slaying phantom dragons?

Brian Dunbar
brian.dunbar@gmail.com

* Re: orgmode as a service
@ 2012-03-27 14:00 ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2012-03-27 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Dunbar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 15:39, Brian Dunbar <brian.dunbar@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a programatic method already coded up to take bits delivered to a
> server, bang out the appropriate .org file and deliver it to the orgmode user?

Maybe this is what you are looking for?
<http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html#sec-3-12>

--
Suvayu

* Re: orgmode as a service
@ 2012-03-27 15:17 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2012-03-27 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Dunbar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Brian Dunbar <brian.dunbar@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm orgmode newbie.  Before I reinvent a wheel, going to ask if this has already
> been done: 'orgmode as a service'.
>
> Or perhaps it doesn't need to be done and I'm tilting at yet another windmill.
>
> Comments welcome.
>

> Assume a workgroup of people - they use emacs / orgmode.  Mostly Linux and OS X,
> but there might be a weirdo or two still using Solaris.
>
> They get TODOs from people who do -not- use emacs: managers, project managers,
> Windows users, end users ... like that.
>
> The input arrives (mostly) via email.  'Attend Meeting Foo at 08:00 p.m.' 'Fix
> Bug umptyfratz this week'.
>
> orgmode user manually inputs this data into emacs.
>

> I had a few free minutes and thought 'there must be a better way': 20 minutes a
> day to organize tasks * Y people on a team = a lot of wasted hours.
>

> Is there a programatic method already coded up to take bits delivered to a
> server, bang out the appropriate .org file and deliver it to the orgmode user?
>
> Assume
>
> data > orgmodeservice@myhost.company.com
>
> orgmodeservice would be a daemon (perl, lisp, whatever) that mangles the data.
>
> # data
> user: Adele@company.com
> what: Task - record new hit single
> when: June 01, 2012
>
> becomes
> adele.org > adele's desktop
>
> #adele.org
> * TODO Record new hit single <2012-06-01 Fri>
>

> Am I Don Quixote slaying phantom dragons?
>

> Brian Dunbar
> brian.dunbar@gmail.com

If you'd rather set this up as a web service (instead e.g., an email
front-end as mentioned in another reply) one intermediate step would be
to write a tool for conversion between json (or some other web-friendly
data type) and the Org-mode list representation defined in
org-element.el in the contrib directory.

Such a task should be fairly straightforward (in fact there may already
be elisp<->json conversion tools written), and once done would allow for
easy generation of Org-mode files from structured data.

To me this does seem like it could be useful.

Cheers,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: orgmode as a service
@ 2012-03-27 17:21   ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2012-03-27 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Brian Dunbar, emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 17:17, Eric Schulte <eric.schulte@gmx.com> wrote:
> If you'd rather set this up as a web service (instead e.g., an email
> front-end as mentioned in another reply) one intermediate step would be
> to write a tool for conversion between json (or some other web-friendly
> data type) and the Org-mode list representation defined in
> org-element.el in the contrib directory.
>
> Such a task should be fairly straightforward (in fact there may already
> be elisp<->json conversion tools written), and once done would allow for
> easy generation of Org-mode files from structured data.
>
> To me this does seem like it could be useful.

Sounds like another nice idea for GSoC.

--
Suvayu

* Re: orgmode as a service
@ 2012-03-28 14:09     ` Brian Dunbar
From: Brian Dunbar @ 2012-03-28 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

suvayu ali
> Maybe this is what you are looking for?
> <http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html#sec-3-12>

Haw - the bash script there is a great start.  I sure do end up
writing a lot of bash stuff at any rate.

Sami Airaksinen
> one could try to create some nice web services with elnode
> library to your network that utilizes org-mode and its data
> formats,

https://github.com/nicferrier/elnode

Bookmarked - thanks!

Eric Schulte
> Such a task should be fairly straightforward (in fact
> there may already
> be elisp<->json conversion tools written), and once
> done would allow for
> easy generation of Org-mode files from structured
> data.

> To me this does seem like it could be useful.

Thanks, Eric.

--
Brian Dunbar
Geidus