* Beamer export: Are handout notes possible?
@ 2011-09-07  6:23 Tassilo Horn
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-09-07  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I'm a big fan of the LaTeX beamer export.  However, now I've hit a
problem that I don't know how to solve.

In plain LaTeX beamer, every text I write between \begin{frame}
... \end{frame} is of course not in a frame but will be there if I
compile the tex file in beamer's handout mode.  That's very convenient
for putting notes there that you want to mention only in the "audio
track" of a presentation.

Because the frames are written as org outlines, there's no explicit
\end{frame}, but everything up to the next outline is put into a frame.

Is there still some way to what I want?

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Beamer export: Are handout notes possible?
@ 2011-09-07  7:57 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2011-09-07  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Hi all,
>
> I'm a big fan of the LaTeX beamer export.  However, now I've hit a
> problem that I don't know how to solve.
>
> In plain LaTeX beamer, every text I write between \begin{frame}
> ... \end{frame} is of course not in a frame but will be there if I
> compile the tex file in beamer's handout mode.  That's very convenient
> for putting notes there that you want to mention only in the "audio
> track" of a presentation.
>
> Because the frames are written as org outlines, there's no explicit
> \end{frame}, but everything up to the next outline is put into a frame.
>
> Is there still some way to what I want?

I have asked the same thing earlier.  Eric Fraga suggested the
following:

** Previous frame
   text here

#+begin_latex
\end{frame}
\againframe<2>{overview.fig}
\begin{frame}<handout>
#+end_latex

** Following frame

From: http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg42140.html

For what you are doing I'd might use only environment.  That way you can
have text in frames which are not displayed on frames.  I use the
following snippet

I use
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(setq org-beamer-environments-extra (quote (("onlyenv" "O" "
    \\begin{onlyenv}%a" "\\end{onlyenv}"))))
#+end_src

And do something like:
#+begin_src org
* section
** Frame
*** Frame text
*** Extra text
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_env: onlyenv
    :BEAMER_envargs: <beamer:0>
    :END:

some more text
#+end_src

And you can even use \only and similar in frames and it will work.

Still, what you are asking would be nice but unless things have changed
only a fragile solution exists.

–Rasmus

--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: Beamer export: Are handout notes possible?
@ 2011-09-07  8:04 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-09-07  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 7, 2011, at 8:23 AM, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm a big fan of the LaTeX beamer export.  However, now I've hit a
> problem that I don't know how to solve.
>
> In plain LaTeX beamer, every text I write between \begin{frame}
> ... \end{frame} is of course not in a frame but will be there if I
> compile the tex file in beamer's handout mode.  That's very convenient
> for putting notes there that you want to mention only in the "audio
> track" of a presentation.
>
> Because the frames are written as org outlines, there's no explicit
> \end{frame}, but everything up to the next outline is put into a frame.
>
> Is there still some way to what I want?

Hi Tassilo,

I thought using a subtree with a B_note or a
B_noteNH property would do this, in a way?

- Carsten

* Re: Beamer export: Are handout notes possible?
@ 2011-09-07  8:07 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-09-07  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Hi all,
>
> I'm a big fan of the LaTeX beamer export.  However, now I've hit a
> problem that I don't know how to solve.
>
> In plain LaTeX beamer, every text I write between \begin{frame}
> ... \end{frame} is of course not in a frame but will be there if I
> compile the tex file in beamer's handout mode.  That's very convenient
> for putting notes there that you want to mention only in the "audio
> track" of a presentation.

Tassilo,

I assume you meant "between \end{frame} ... \begin{frame}"?

In any case, I think this will be very difficult to do directly, due to
the reason you have already noted: org is an outliner at its heart!

Instead, you could consider using \note{}s (search list as there was a
discussion about these a while back).  You can create notes for a given
slide easily enough:

#+begin_src org
* A slide
  - one item
  - another item

#+latex: \note{%
  - something to tell the audience or
  - make sure to point out some important point
  - whatever you want to put in notes basically...
#+latex: }

* Another slide
  - an item
  - yet another
#+end_src org

and then generate documents without notes, with slides and notes and
with notes alone.  Quite powerful but may not be necessarily what you
wanted...

HTH,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.7 (release_7.7.257.g0dd1)

* Re: Beamer export: Are handout notes possible?
@ 2011-09-07  9:05   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-09-07  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten & Eric,

> I thought using a subtree with a B_note or a
> B_noteNH property would do this, in a way?

Yes, I've thought this was true, but it is not, or at least I don't
understand how to use it correctly.

Something like

** Notes just for me                                    :B_note:

   - bla bla

is correctly exported as \note{Notes just for me...}, but that creates a
real slide in the presentation.  I don't know how to tell beamer not to
include note slides in the presentation.

Ideally, I want to export a handout version just for me using beamer's
article mode, which is more compact than just printing the slides as-is.
And here the beamer docs are clear: Notes are not supported in article
mode! :-(

@ 2011-09-07  9:06   ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-09-07  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn, emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric and Tassilo,

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 10:07 AM, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> In any case, I think this will be very difficult to do directly, due to
> the reason you have already noted: org is an outliner at its heart!

If you had a heading like this:

* Text between frames               :ignoreheading:
Some notes for hadouts.

Then you could use something like the code snippet below in your
`org-export-preprocess-hook' to achieve that.

 (when (eq org-export-current-backend 'latex)
   ;; ignoreheading tag for bibliographies and appendices
   (let* ((tag ":ignoreheading:"))
     (org-map-entries (lambda ()
     		   (delete-region (point-at-bol) (point-at-eol)))
     		 tag)))

--
Suvayu

* Re: Beamer export: Are handout notes possible?
@ 2011-09-07  9:23     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-09-07  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

> Hi Carsten & Eric,
>
>> I thought using a subtree with a B_note or a
>> B_noteNH property would do this, in a way?
>
> Yes, I've thought this was true, but it is not, or at least I don't
> understand how to use it correctly.
>
> Something like
>
> ** Notes just for me                                    :B_note:
>
>    - bla bla
>
> is correctly exported as \note{Notes just for me...}, but that creates a
> real slide in the presentation.  I don't know how to tell beamer not to
> include note slides in the presentation.

Three alternatives:

\setbeameroptions{show notes}
\setbeameroptions{show only notes}
\setbeameroptions{hide notes}

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.7 (release_7.7.259.gf174)

* Re: Beamer export: Are handout notes possible?
@ 2011-09-07  9:26       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-09-07  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: Tassilo Horn, emacs-orgmode

On Sep 7, 2011, at 11:23 AM, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>
>> Hi Carsten & Eric,
>>
>>> I thought using a subtree with a B_note or a
>>> B_noteNH property would do this, in a way?
>>
>> Yes, I've thought this was true, but it is not, or at least I don't
>> understand how to use it correctly.
>>
>> Something like
>>
>> ** Notes just for me                                    :B_note:
>>
>>   - bla bla
>>
>> is correctly exported as \note{Notes just for me...}, but that creates a
>> real slide in the presentation.  I don't know how to tell beamer not to
>> include note slides in the presentation.
>
> Three alternatives:
>
> \setbeameroptions{show notes}
> \setbeameroptions{show only notes}
> \setbeameroptions{hide notes}

Should this information be in the docs somewhere?

- Carsten

@ 2011-09-07  9:55         ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-09-07  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

>>> Yes, I've thought this was true, but it is not, or at least I don't
>>> understand how to use it correctly.
>>>
>>> Something like
>>>
>>> ** Notes just for me                                    :B_note:
>>>
>>>   - bla bla
>>>
>>> is correctly exported as \note{Notes just for me...}, but that creates a
>>> real slide in the presentation.  I don't know how to tell beamer not to
>>> include note slides in the presentation.
>>
>> Three alternatives:
>>
>> \setbeameroptions{show notes}
>> \setbeameroptions{show only notes}
>> \setbeameroptions{hide notes}

Great, thanks.

> Should this information be in the docs somewhere?

Since the docs explicitly use :B_note:, I'd say that would be very
helpful.

@ 2011-09-07  9:57         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-09-07  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Tassilo Horn, emacs-orgmode

> On Sep 7, 2011, at 11:23 AM, Eric S Fraga wrote:
>
>> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Carsten & Eric,

>>> Yes, I've thought this was true, but it is not, or at least I don't
>>> understand how to use it correctly.
>>>
>>> Something like
>>>
>>> ** Notes just for me                                    :B_note:
>>>
>>>   - bla bla
>>>
>>> is correctly exported as \note{Notes just for me...}, but that creates a
>>> real slide in the presentation.  I don't know how to tell beamer not to
>>> include note slides in the presentation.
>>
>> Three alternatives:
>>
>> \setbeameroptions{show notes}
>> \setbeameroptions{show only notes}
>> \setbeameroptions{hide notes}
>
> Should this information be in the docs somewhere?

Well, this information is in the beamer manual in the section on
notes...  it's not really an org issue?  But I'm happy to work on the
org beamer document at some point and add these points if people wish.

--

@ 2011-09-07 10:14           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-09-07 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: Tassilo Horn, emacs-orgmode

On Sep 7, 2011, at 11:57 AM, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Three alternatives:
>>>
>>> \setbeameroptions{show notes}
>>> \setbeameroptions{show only notes}
>>> \setbeameroptions{hide notes}
>>
>> Should this information be in the docs somewhere?
>
> Well, this information is in the beamer manual in the section on
> notes...  it's not really an org issue?  But I'm happy to work on the
> org beamer document at some point and add these points if people wish.

I believe it might be useful to demonstrate the ability to create notes,
and then mention, maybe in a footnote, how to turn them off in the presentation.
Is the beamer default to create slides from notes?  I find this a bit odd...

- Carsten

* Re: Beamer export: Are handout notes possible?
@ 2011-09-07 15:29             ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-09-07 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Tassilo Horn, emacs-orgmode

[...]

> I believe it might be useful to demonstrate the ability to create notes,
> and then mention, maybe in a footnote, how to turn them off in the presentation.
> Is the beamer default to create slides from notes?  I find this a bit odd...
>
> - Carsten

For me, the default is definitely *not* to show notes.  I have to
explicitly ask for them to be shown.

The manual (beamer) says that the default is not to show them.

In any case, I will (hopefully in a couple of weeks' time) work on the
beamer tutorial, once the pressures of a new term subside somewhat (he
says hopefully ;-).

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.7 (release_7.7.261.g2178)