From: suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>
To: "Mark E. Shoulson" <mark@kli.org>
Subject: Re: Flexible plain list bullets
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 11:40:41 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Mark,

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:18, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Mark E. Shoulson" <mark@kli.org> writes:
>
>> Attached is a patch that adds a customization variable for setting
>> which characters you can use as bullets in plain lists.  Unicode has
>> all kinds of pretty characters like ❧ or ☞ that would be good for
>> bullets, why limit ourselves to just [-+*]?
>
> This has been discussed recently of the ML.  At that time, many
> developers didn't like the idea of Unicode bullets.  I still don't.

As a user I don't like this either. I realise I don't have to use it if
I don't want to, but then this breaks the "Org format". I realise it is
still not formally defined but many external tools have been developed
which assumes these basic syntactic elements.

My personal reason for not liking this is, it makes it difficult for me
to use tools like grep or sed interactively when there is a file with
these fancy characters.

However, Nicolas' suggestion about a minor mode to add overlays sounds
like a great idea to me.

--
Suvayu