* feature suggestion: apply datetime prompt magic to selected region
@ 2011-10-06 12:48 Brian van den Broek
From: Brian van den Broek @ 2011-10-06 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

[Apologies to the mods and to all if this goes through twice;
I sent from the wrong gmail tab :-[ ]

It wouldn't stun me were orgmode already able to do what I have in
mind, but trying it and consulting the fine manual didn't suggest that
it does.

I very much appreciate orgmode's ability to parse the content of a
yank for date and time information while entering a timestamp. I think
it would be even cooler were orgmode able to parse the content of a
selected region and extract the same information, replacing the region
with the timestamp created on the basis of the text in the region.

It certainly is true that one can select the region, kill it, invoke
the datetime prompt, and then yank to achieve the same effect.
However, having just done that more than 50 times in a row with a
series of dates copied from a webpage, it has occurred to me that the
ability to move directly from a selected region to a datetime prompt
while skipping the kill and yank steps would have saved more than a
hundred key-chords.

Not revolutionary, and surely not a high priority, but I thought I'd
throw the idea out there in case any of the developers think it worth
the time to implement. If not, no biggie.

Thanks and best,

Brian vdB

* feature suggestion: apply datetime prompt magic to selected region
@ 2011-10-06 12:40 Brian van den Broek