* different hoisting in two panes
@ 2011-09-26 14:47 Joseph Buchignani
From: Joseph Buchignani @ 2011-09-26 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

One of the major shortcomings of org-mode as an outliner is the following:

You cannot have different hoisting or outline visibility settings in two
panes of the same file.

For example, if you want to hide the body text and just view outline
headings in one pane, while you work on the body text of a specific entry in
the other pane, you cannot do this.

This prevents flexible restructuring and writing on the fly. It removes much
of the usefulness of having multiple panes.

Is there any way to change this behavior? Or is it something hardcoded into
Emacs?

Thanks
JB

--
Ignore the following. It is a nonsense sentence that disables Google ads
from displaying next to my emails by triggering sensitive keywords.

I enjoy the massacre of ads. This sentence will slaughter ads without a
messy bloodbath.

* Re: different hoisting in two panes
@ 2011-09-26 14:53 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-09-26 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Buchignani; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Emacs-orgmode

Joseph Buchignani <joseph.buchignani@gmail.com> wrote:

> One of the major shortcomings of org-mode as an outliner is the following:
>
> You cannot have different hoisting or outline visibility settings in two panes of the same file.
>
> For example, if you want to hide the body text and just view outline headings in one pane, while you
> work on the body text of a specific entry in the other pane, you cannot do this.

Sure you can - check out "Indirect buffers" in the Emacs manual.

Nick

@ 2011-09-26 15:25   ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-09-26 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:
> Sure you can - check out "Indirect buffers" in the Emacs manual.

C-c C-x b

--
Suvayu

* Re: different hoisting in two panes
@ 2011-09-27 11:55     ` Joseph Buchignani
From: Joseph Buchignani @ 2011-09-27 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Awesome, thanks.

This makes Org-Mode truly a two pane outliner. Actually it's three "pane" I
guess, since it includes metadata. Yeah... 3 pane, the agenda view would be
a pane.

I would suggest adding this command to the documentation for Org-Mode under
the outlining section somewhere. I've been using Emacs for years as a
non-techie and never came across it. For writers it's only really useful for
visibility cycling of outlines, so they're not likely to come across it
elsewhere.

@ 2011-09-27 18:36       ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2011-09-27 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

The clone-indirect-buffer function is from Emacs and Org-mode created a
specialized function, org-tree-to-indirect-buffer, that just makes creating
an indirect buffer narrowed to a subtree easier.

Indirect buffers may be useful for much more then just visibility
cycling. You can use a different major mode in each buffer, narrow to
different regions, etc.. If you are, for instance, inserting an org-mode
table in a latex document (see [1]) you might want to clone the buffer,
change one of them to org-mode and narrow to the table. Then you can edit
the table normally and alternate with editing the latex document as you
want.

[1] - http://orgmode.org/manual/A-LaTeX-example.html

--
Darlan