* Re: org-adaptive-indent nil default
@ 2020-02-08  9:19 Texas Cyberthal
From: Texas Cyberthal @ 2020-02-08  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

#+begin_quote alphapapa
I think you have a better case for changing this setting.  However, I
think there is another consideration: the default settings do not put
blank lines between headings and their entry text, and without any
indentation, headings and entry text on varying levels tends to blend
together, making for very poor readability.  Disabling this setting
would make this problem worse.
#+end_quote

I see what you mean now. Spacemacs lacks this problem thanks to org-bullets.

> the default settings do not put blank lines between headings and their entry text,

It doesn't. However, it puts a blank line between entry text and the
next heading, when the current heading has a blank line preceding it.

I always took this as advice to separate entry text and headings with
blank lines. I assumed the lack of an automatic blank line immediately
after a heading was due to the fact that one might wish to place a
heading or a drawer on that line.

I see that under the vanilla defaults, with no blank lines, the little
adaptive indent at the start of the wrapped entry text helps one spot
the start of a heading's *****

This is no big deal. Indenting the first line of a paragraph is a
matter of taste. I had it confused with org-indent-mode, which wastes
tons of space, but isn't enabled by default.

Anyway, vanilla Org has profound UI issues that can't be sufficiently
addressed to give normie-noobs a competitive modern induction
experience. So it may as well stay however makes the devs happiest.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-02-08  9:20 UTC | newest]