From: Texas Cyberthal <texas.cyberthal@gmail.com>
To: "emacs-orgmode@gnu.org" <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: org-startup-truncated default should be nil [legibility 2/6]
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2020 05:36:19 +0800	[thread overview]

> visual-line-mode and toggle-truncate-lines are basic Emacs commands that all users should learn early.

Visual lines, logical lines etc is a complicated mess that Spacemacs
avoids entirely. I recall fiddling with it and never being satisfied,
until adopting Spacemacs solved it. Now I know even less about it than
I did then, because there's no need to know. A brief investigation
shows Spacemacs sets (line-move-visual t) in prosey text modes, so
that C-n next-line operates on visual lines. However commands such as
C-e operate on logical lines: mwim-end-of-line-or-code. This is a sane
default that permits fluid navigation of paragraphs, which is all a
noob wants to do.

Similarly, I almost never use truncate-lines, to the point that I had
to websearch to recall what it was called within the last week.

Emacs is self-documenting; learning it requires bootstrapping. The
less noob-friendly the defaults, the lower the chances they
successfully boostrap.
Emacs noobs have enough to contend with. If learning the twenty ways
to wrap lines can be skipped, it should be. Prose should wrap at
window's edge; code should continue. That's the universal standard
now. Emacs was written before this standard, so it pretends there
isn't one.