From: Leonard Randall <leonard.a.randall@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: org-reftex package and biblatex support for org-bibtex
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 13:51:42 +0100	[thread overview]

Dear All,

I am in the process of writing a new package for inserting citations into
org buffers using RefTeX. The current org-reftex command works alright, but
it is not quite as flexible as I would like it to be. I wanted to add an
option to add citations in footnotes. I also wanted to make it so that,
when a bibtex library is not set in the file, it uses the one set by
RefTeX.

Additionally, I thought that it would be useful to have the package provide
two sets of customizable RefTeX cite commands for use in org mode: one with
traditional bibtex/natbib commands and one with biblatex commands. This
would give users a fairly functional set of defaults to choose from, and
the option to further customize them. It would also some minor use
problems. Currently, org will export most bibtex and biblatex cite commands
correctly, even if they are not explicitly marked as latex,  but it will
not export biblatex multicite commands, because it does not recognize them
as latex. Accordingly it will be useful to have org-reftex mark biblatex
multicite commands as latex, but it will generally be unnecessary for it to
mark other citations as such.

Let me know if you think such a package would be useful, and let me know
what cite commands you think I should include. (I thought the default set
should be somewhat basic, but useful for most common use case scenarios.)

I was also thinking of adding out of the box biblatex support for
org-bibtex. I use org-bibtex for my bibtex files and reading lists. It
gives me a unified way to organize my bibtex entries and keep track of what
sources I need to read or incorporate into specific projects.  Currently,
customizing it to deal with biblatex fields is a bit of a hassle, so I
thought I might try to add an option that makes this process easier.

Let me know if anyone else might be interested in this, or has any
objections. Also let me know if you have any ideas about what entry types
and fields I should include. Again I wanted to make it as useful and easily
customizable as possible, without making it too bulky.

All best,
Leonard