* Is there a way to selectively change the line spacing for visual line mode?
@ 2012-08-04 12:06 Paul Whipp
From: Paul Whipp @ 2012-08-04 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I can adjust the line-spacing variable but I'm looking for a way to
separate paragraphs when writing large amounts of text in org-mode.
Sticking in an extra carriage return works and has become my habit but it
is annoying when the text is copy/pasted or exported to certain formats
(such as libreoffice).

I'd like to be able to set the line-spacing such that there is a nice
visible vertical gap where I've actually hit the carriage return to create
a new paragraph and a smaller vertical spacing where visual line mode has
emulated a carriage return for readability. This would probably help in my
elisp or python code too because it would make it easy to distinguish
wrapped and new lines.

I've tried google but I can't see any way to do this. Can anyone suggest
where I should look for a solution?

Regards,
Paul Whipp

Office: 07 3103 2894
Mobile: 0410 545 357

Do more business with your website! <http://www.paulwhippconsulting.com.au>

Joomla, Python, PHP and MySQL web application
developer<http://www.paulwhippconsulting.com.au/>

* Re: Is there a way to selectively change the line spacing for visual line mode?
@ 2012-08-04 15:53 ` brian powell
From: brian powell @ 2012-08-04 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Whipp; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

* http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/VisualLineMode --very intereting...

** This may explain why you found no help thru google:

"Visual line mode is a new mode in Emacs 23 that is on by default."

* "The following code convinces visual-line-mode to wrap at a given column
by expanding the right margin of the buffer’s window. It’s worked pretty
well for me, although it depends on being the only one that fiddles with
the margins. --JamesWright

    (defvar visual-wrap-column nil)
    (defun set-visual-wrap-column (new-wrap-column &optional buffer)
etc.

** To use the original behavior put the following in your .emacs:

    (setq line-move-visual nil)

@ 2012-08-05 21:36 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-08-05 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Whipp; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Paul Whipp <paul.whipp@gmail.com> writes:

> Sticking in an extra carriage return works and has become my habit but
> it is annoying when the text is copy/pasted or exported to certain
> formats (such as libreoffice).

You can create LibreOffice documents using the OpenDocument text
exporter.  Type C-c C-e O in the org buffer.  If you export this way,
the *.odt file will not have any newline issues.

I am not sure why you are copy, pasting when there is a better
alternative.

* Re: Is there a way to selectively change the line spacing for visual line mode?
@ 2012-08-06  1:29   ` Paul Whipp
From: Paul Whipp @ 2012-08-06  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brian powell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode