Thanks Brian, but that does not help me adjust the line spacing or height of a line. I use emacs24 for organising, programming in Python, PHP and for writing fiction. Visual line mode is perfect except for the minor irritation of my having to put in that extra linefeed to clearly visually separate paragraphs. Being able to turn visual mode off is handy too - each paragraph ends up on one line - its effectively folding for fiction ;) - very handy when scanning a 10k+ word story. The 'enhancement' I'm after is being able to make the explicit newline take up more screen height than the implicit newline used in visual-line-mode so that there is no need to put in two explicit newlines to separate paragraphs clearly. I think this would be universally appreciated. I guess I could possibly dig into the code and rebind the line-spacing within the visual-line-mode relevant scope but it would take me an age to work out how to do that. Cheers, Paul On 5 August 2012 01:53, brian powell wrote: > * http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/VisualLineMode --very intereting... > > ** This may explain why you found no help thru google: > > "Visual line mode is a new mode in Emacs 23 that is on by default." > > * "The following code convinces visual-line-mode to wrap at a given column > by expanding the right margin of the buffer’s window. It’s worked pretty > well for me, although it depends on being the only one that fiddles with > the margins. --JamesWright > > (defvar visual-wrap-column nil) > (defun set-visual-wrap-column (new-wrap-column &optional buffer) > .... > etc. > > ** To use the original behavior put the following in your .emacs: > > (setq line-move-visual nil) > > > > On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Paul Whipp wrote: > >> I can adjust the line-spacing variable but I'm looking for a way to >> separate paragraphs when writing large amounts of text in org-mode. >> Sticking in an extra carriage return works and has become my habit but it >> is annoying when the text is copy/pasted or exported to certain formats >> (such as libreoffice). >> >> I'd like to be able to set the line-spacing such that there is a nice >> visible vertical gap where I've actually hit the carriage return to create >> a new paragraph and a smaller vertical spacing where visual line mode has >> emulated a carriage return for readability. This would probably help in my >> elisp or python code too because it would make it easy to distinguish >> wrapped and new lines. >> >> I've tried google but I can't see any way to do this. Can anyone suggest >> where I should look for a solution? >> >> Regards, >> Paul Whipp >> >> Office: 07 3103 2894 >> Mobile: 0410 545 357 >> >> Do more business with your website! >> >> Joomla, Python, PHP and MySQL web application developer >> >> >> >> >> >