From: gusbrs <gusbrs.2016@gmail.com>
To: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net>
Cc: org-mode list <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: [BUG] org-insert-heading changed behavior with Emacs 29.2 [9.6.15 (release_9.6.15 @ /usr/local/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/org/)]
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 10:42:59 -0300	[thread overview]

Hi,

On Sat, 3 Feb 2024 at 10:27, gusbrs <gusbrs.2016@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Feb 2024 at 09:32, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:

> > Would it make sense to add a new `org-blank-after-new-entry'
> > customization that will provide explicit user control over what Org does
> > when inserting a new heading?
>
> Looking from the perspective of C-RET alone, I'd be inclined to
> restate my suggestion of treating the issue that motivated that commit
> as a "visibility / folding" problem. However, including M-RET into the
> mix, I think you have a good point, and something like
> `org-blank-after-new-entry' would possibly help improve blank line
> consistency in general.

A couple of further comments about this. First, I think exposing a
`org-blank-after-new-entry' is a good idea also on the grounds that it
becomes a commitment to a desired/desirable behavior. And would offer
more control.

Also, something like `(setq org-blank-after-new-entry '((heading .
auto)))' would arguably have to keep the number of lines existing at
the end of the current entry. In other words, implement (by other
means) the behavior which used to prevail before the commit in
discussion.

Best,
gusbrs