* do it today, or well, tomorrow
@ 2011-10-12 14:22 Andrea Crotti
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2011-10-12 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

There is a nice little app for android called "do it tomorrow", where
you can plan easily for one day, and move them to the next day easily.

I was trying to do the same in org-mode, so my idea is that:
- in the morning I fill some tasks which I should do during the day
- at night I move to the next days the ones which were not finished

(maybe the "DONE" flag should be set automatically in case they're
trivial or the explanation might go somewhere else).

The problem is that from the agenda view I can't easily move a task to
the next day, is anyone doing anything like this?

Thanks,
Andrea

* Re: do it today, or well, tomorrow
@ 2011-10-12 14:33 ` Brian van den Broek
From: Brian van den Broek @ 2011-10-12 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Crotti, emacs-orgmode

On 12 Oct 2011 16:22, "Andrea Crotti" <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is a nice little app for android called "do it tomorrow", where
> you can plan easily for one day, and move them to the next day easily.
>
> I was trying to do the same in org-mode, so my idea is that:
> - in the morning I fill some tasks which I should do during the day
> - at night I move to the next days the ones which were not finished
>
> (maybe the "DONE" flag should be set automatically in case they're
> trivial or the explanation might go somewhere else).
>
> The problem is that from the agenda view I can't easily move a task to
> the next day, is anyone doing anything like this?
>
> Thanks,
> Andrea

Andrea,

All too often, I reschedule from the agenda. On an item, C-c C-s, the use
the calendar to pick the new day. Does that not do what you are after?

Best,

Brian vdB

* Re: do it today, or well, tomorrow
@ 2011-10-12 14:41 ` Antoine Levitt
From: Antoine Levitt @ 2011-10-12 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

12/10/11 16:22, Andrea Crotti
> There is a nice little app for android called "do it tomorrow", where
> you can plan easily for one day, and move them to the next day easily.
>
> I was trying to do the same in org-mode, so my idea is that:
> - in the morning I fill some tasks which I should do during the day
> - at night I move to the next days the ones which were not finished
>
> (maybe the "DONE" flag should be set automatically in case they're
> trivial or the explanation might go somewhere else).
>
> The problem is that from the agenda view I can't easily move a task to
> the next day, is anyone doing anything like this?

I use S-right:

<S-right> runs the command org-agenda-do-date-later

* Re: do it today, or well, tomorrow
@ 2011-10-12 14:41   ` John Rakestraw
From: John Rakestraw @ 2011-10-12 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian van den Broek; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011, Brian van den Broek wrote:
> All too often, I reschedule from the agenda. On an item, C-c C-s, the use
> the calendar to pick the new day. Does that not do what you are after?

Even more simply, <Shift-right arrow> while sitting on the task in the
agenda moves it ahead by a day.

--
John Rakestraw

* Re: do it today, or well, tomorrow
@ 2011-10-12 14:54 ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-10-12 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

on Wed Oct 12 2011, Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> There is a nice little app for android called "do it tomorrow", where
> you can plan easily for one day, and move them to the next day easily.
>
> I was trying to do the same in org-mode, so my idea is that:
> - in the morning I fill some tasks which I should do during the day
> - at night I move to the next days the ones which were not finished
>
> (maybe the "DONE" flag should be set automatically in case they're
> trivial or the explanation might go somewhere else).
>
> The problem is that from the agenda view I can't easily move a task to
> the next day, is anyone doing anything like this?

Binding `org-agenda-date-later' to a key like `f' ought to work out for
you.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

* Re: do it today, or well, tomorrow
@ 2011-10-12 15:17   ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2011-10-12 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 10/12/2011 03:54 PM, Dave Abrahams wrote:
> Binding `org-agenda-date-later' to a key like `f' ought to work out for
> you.

'f' is already bound to next-week, and it's also quite useful.
Shift-right work great thanks!
The problem is that shift-arrow in general is a disputed key for me,
so I have to use M-- / M-+ to get the same result, not a big deal anyway.

Thanks everyone

* Re: do it today, or well, tomorrow
@ 2011-10-12 15:55     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-10-12 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Rakestraw; +Cc: Brian van den Broek, emacs-orgmode

On 12.10.2011, at 16:41, John Rakestraw wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Oct 2011, Brian van den Broek wrote:
>> All too often, I reschedule from the agenda. On an item, C-c C-s, the use
>> the calendar to pick the new day. Does that not do what you are after?
>
> Even more simply, <Shift-right arrow> while sitting on the task in the
> agenda moves it ahead by a day.

An alternative is to use the scheduling mechanism.

* TODO My Task
  SCHEDULED: <2011-10-12 Wed>

This task will automatically be forwarded to the following day, until it is done.

- Carsten

* Re: do it today, or well, tomorrow
@ 2011-10-12 16:08       ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2011-10-12 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Brian van den Broek, emacs-orgmode

On 10/12/2011 04:55 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> An alternative is to use the scheduling mechanism.
>
> * TODO My Task
>    SCHEDULED:<2011-10-12 Wed>
>
> This task will automatically be forwarded to the following day, until it is done.
>
> - Carsten

Fantastic!
I only see the habit page on the manual now, but it has to be enabled,
and the "SCHEDULED" setting has to be done by hand right?
Maybe I should use a capture template for that?

And it's not very clear how do I set an habit on a task, when I run
org-habit-toggle-habits it opens me the agenda buffer, instead of doing
something in
the current task as I (wrongly) expected.

* Re: do it today, or well, tomorrow
@ 2011-10-12 17:12         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-10-12 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Crotti; +Cc: Brian van den Broek, emacs-orgmode

On 12.10.2011, at 18:08, Andrea Crotti wrote:

> On 10/12/2011 04:55 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>
>> An alternative is to use the scheduling mechanism.
>>
>> * TODO My Task
>>   SCHEDULED:<2011-10-12 Wed>
>>
>> This task will automatically be forwarded to the following day, until it is done.
>>
>> - Carsten
>>

> Fantastic!
> I only see the habit page on the manual now, but it has to be enabled,
> and the "SCHEDULED" setting has to be done by hand right?

Use C-c C-s for this.  All described in detail in the manual - take the time to read it!

> Maybe I should use a capture template for that?

That is also a possibility, of course!

> And it's not very clear how do I set an habit on a task, when I run
> org-habit-toggle-habits it opens me the agenda buffer, instead of doing something in
> the current task as I (wrongly) expected.

Again, the manual does cover this.  the toggle-habit function is for turning them on and off in the agenda display.

- Carsten

* Re: do it today, or well, tomorrow
@ 2011-10-12 20:25     ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2011-10-12 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On 10/12/2011 03:54 PM, Dave Abrahams wrote:
>> Binding `org-agenda-date-later' to a key like `f' ought to work out for
>> you.

> 'f' is already bound to next-week, and it's also quite useful.

I bind M-n/p to next/perv-week/day/etc.

John

* Re: do it today, or well, tomorrow
@ 2011-10-12 21:57       ` Andy Moreton
From: Andy Moreton @ 2011-10-12 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed 12 Oct 2011, John Wiegley wrote:

>> On 10/12/2011 03:54 PM, Dave Abrahams wrote:
>>> Binding `org-agenda-date-later' to a key like `f' ought to work out for
>>> you.
>
>> 'f' is already bound to next-week, and it's also quite useful.
>
> I bind M-n/p to next/perv-week/day/etc.

I fervently hope this an unfortunate typo. A whole week ? :-)

    AndyM

* Re: do it today, or well, tomorrow
@ 2011-10-12 22:24         ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2011-10-12 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>> I bind M-n/p to next/perv-week/day/etc.

> I fervently hope this an unfortunate typo. A whole week ? :-)

LOL.  Somehow, flyspell thinks prev is less correct than perv.

John

* Re: do it today, or well, tomorrow
@ 2011-10-13  0:29           ` Andrew Hyatt
From: Andrew Hyatt @ 2011-10-13  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Brian van den Broek, emacs-orgmode, Andrea Crotti

While we're talking about scheduling... one thing I'd love to see, but
never figured out how to do, is to schedule a parent task, and have
the subtasks all inherit that schedule.  I think I've tried most
obvious things, but schedules seem just not to be inherited.

@ 2011-10-13  7:36       ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2011-10-13  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Am 12.10.2011 22:25, schrieb John Wiegley:

>> On 10/12/2011 03:54 PM, Dave Abrahams wrote:
>>> Binding `org-agenda-date-later' to a key like `f' ought to work out for
>>> you.
>
>> 'f' is already bound to next-week, and it's also quite useful.
>
> I bind M-n/p to next/perv-week/day/etc.
>
> John

Hi John,

I think I have read somewhere that you wrote a function which does the following:

If a todos schedule date is more than one day in the past it will be scheduled
automatically to today when using the function to move the schedule forward for one day.

Is that right and if yes could you share it please?

Best,
Rainer

* Re: do it today, or well, tomorrow
@ 2011-10-13  8:17         ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2011-10-13  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> I think I have read somewhere that you wrote a function which does the
> following:

> If a todos schedule date is more than one day in the past it will be
> scheduled automatically to today when using the function to move the
> schedule forward for one day.

> Is that right and if yes could you share it please?

That was a feature suggestion made by Dave Abrahams.  Hasn't been coded yet,
sorry. :(  But followup on the thread so Carsten sees it has more supporters!
:)

Thx, John

* Re: do it today, or well, tomorrow
@ 2011-10-13  8:45           ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-10-13  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Oct 13 2011, John Wiegley wrote:

>> I think I have read somewhere that you wrote a function which does the
>> following:
>
>> If a todos schedule date is more than one day in the past it will be
>> scheduled automatically to today when using the function to move the
>> schedule forward for one day.
>
>> Is that right and if yes could you share it please?
>
> That was a feature suggestion made by Dave Abrahams.  Hasn't been coded yet,
> sorry. :(  But followup on the thread so Carsten sees it has more supporters!
> :)

This may very well be a nice thing to have, but also note that you can
go onto a scheduled item, hit C-c C-s, then type +1 to have it scheduled
to tomorrow. That seems pretty close to enough, though it's not quite
automated. Bulk agenda action?

--
GNU Emacs 24.0.90.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.4)
 of 2011-10-06 on pellet