On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 2:09 AM, Nicolas Goaziou wrote: > Hello, > > Nick Dokos writes: > > > Is the "* on column 0 is a headline" convention a consequence of the > > dependence on outline.el? Or is it just historical baggage? I cannot > > remember the grammar rules, but I'm wondering if the parser could be > > made to say "not a headline" in this situation, and if so, what the > > consequences might be (particularly, the bad consequences). > > ... > > This is inherent on how the syntax is defined, and how the parser is > implemented. As an outliner, the main syntactic element in an Org > document is the headline. Everything else has a lower priority. > Therefore, a block will not be parsed before a headline. > > ... That's interesting. Thanks for the explanation. What does the parser do with a drawer? How is that different from a block? It seems that one can put text that looks like a headline in a drawer and it won't be interpreted as a headline. Why couldn't blocks be parsed the same way?