This is perfect, thank you! On Mon, 5 Dec 2022 at 09:13, William Denton wrote: > On 4 December 2022, Vikas Rawal wrote: > > > I frequently use orgmode macros -- like {{{M(Year 1998--99)}}} -- in > tables > > designed for latex export. I find that the macro syntax occupies many > > character spaces. At the very least, 9 spaces are taken up even if my > macro > > shortcut is just one character long. This is very difficult with wide > > tables as often the tables go off the screen just because of this. > > > > I was wondering if there is a simple way of making org display the macros > > differently. That is, use some kind of overlay, and display the above > macro > > may be like M:Year 1998--99. Or some special character could be used to > > denote that there is a macro underlying what is visible here. > > Is this close enough? > > (setq org-hide-macro-markers t) > > That hides the {{{macro}}} curly brackets (if there's no leading space). > > I also have this to toggle macro visibility in the document so I can see > them > when I want to: > > #+begin_src emacs-lisp > (defun wtd/toggle-org-macro-markers () > "Toggle visibility of {{{macro}}} markers" > (interactive) > (setq org-hide-macro-markers (not org-hide-macro-markers)) > (font-lock-mode) > (font-lock-mode)) > #+end_src > > I think there's been some discussion about evaluating the macros and > showing the > result, but I don't think that's possible. > > Bill > > -- > William Denton > https://www.miskatonic.org/ > Librarian, artist and licensed private investigator. > Toronto, Canada >