* column view uses non-existent org-whitespace face
@ 2014-08-05  2:53 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-08-05  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I started using column view (finally), and noticed two things I thought
were odd:

1. The %ITEM specification is zero-width by default, while the other
special properties default to being as big as they need to be. This just
seems a little odd. A column spec of %ITEM %TODO will show the TODO
properly, but just a dot for the item. Shouldn't it default to
fully-visible?

2. The text for %ITEM has the face org-whitespace applied to the leading
stars, which doesn't exist anymore. I assume the intended effect was
that the stars take up space, emulating indentation, but not themselves
be visible. I guess that would be done by replacing the org-whitespace
face with whatever's being used as the column background color but I
don't know enough about faces to make that work. I also tried switching
'org-whitespace to 'invisible, but that didn't do anything. This is in
org-columns-cleanup-item.

The first one's not a big deal. The second would be nice to resolve --
it's ugly!

Thanks,
Eric

* Re: column view uses non-existent org-whitespace face
@ 2014-09-25 16:09 ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2014-09-25 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Eric

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 4:53 AM, Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
> 2. The text for %ITEM has the face org-whitespace applied to the leading
> stars, which doesn't exist anymore. I assume the intended effect was
> that the stars take up space, emulating indentation, but not themselves
> be visible. I guess that would be done by replacing the org-whitespace
> face with whatever's being used as the column background color but I
> don't know enough about faces to make that work. I also tried switching
> 'org-whitespace to 'invisible, but that didn't do anything. This is in
> org-columns-cleanup-item.
>
> [...]
> The second would be nice to resolve --
> it's ugly!

Same here. I just tried to hide the leading stars in column view by
shifting the beginning of the overlay to the right in
`org-columns-new-overlay' with

    (let ((ov (make-overlay
               (if org-hide-leading-stars (+ beg (org-current-level) -1) beg)
               end)))

but this trial seems to have several issues and I don't know how to do
it right.

Michael

* Re: column view uses non-existent org-whitespace face
@ 2016-02-08 19:01   ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2016-02-08 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Eric

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 6:09 PM, Michael Brand
<michael.ch.brand@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 4:53 AM, Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:

>> 2. The text for %ITEM has the face org-whitespace applied to the leading
>> stars, which doesn't exist anymore. I assume the intended effect was
>> that the stars take up space, emulating indentation, but not themselves
>> be visible. I guess that would be done by replacing the org-whitespace
>> face with whatever's being used as the column background color but I
>> don't know enough about faces to make that work. I also tried switching
>> 'org-whitespace to 'invisible, but that didn't do anything. This is in
>> org-columns-cleanup-item.
>>
>> [...]
>> The second would be nice to resolve --
>> it's ugly!
>
> Same here. I just tried to hide the leading stars in column view by
> shifting the beginning of the overlay to the right in
> `org-columns-new-overlay' with
>
>     (let ((ov (make-overlay
>                (if org-hide-leading-stars (+ beg (org-current-level) -1) beg)
>                end)))
>
> but this trial seems to have several issues and I don't know how to do
> it right.
>
> Michael

With recent changes made by Nicolas the solution became obvious to me,
fixed in master. (I don't consider hidden stars useful in column view
of agenda view as it is not a folded hierarchy and as the headings can
origin from different settings for hidden stars, so I didn't repeat my
change there.)

Michael

* Re: column view uses non-existent org-whitespace face
@ 2016-02-09  2:53     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-02-09  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Michael Brand <michael.ch.brand@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Eric
>
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 6:09 PM, Michael Brand
> <michael.ch.brand@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 4:53 AM, Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
>
>>> 2. The text for %ITEM has the face org-whitespace applied to the leading
>>> stars, which doesn't exist anymore. I assume the intended effect was
>>> that the stars take up space, emulating indentation, but not themselves
>>> be visible. I guess that would be done by replacing the org-whitespace
>>> face with whatever's being used as the column background color but I
>>> don't know enough about faces to make that work. I also tried switching
>>> 'org-whitespace to 'invisible, but that didn't do anything. This is in
>>> org-columns-cleanup-item.

> With recent changes made by Nicolas the solution became obvious to me,
> fixed in master. (I don't consider hidden stars useful in column view
> of agenda view as it is not a folded hierarchy and as the headings can
> origin from different settings for hidden stars, so I didn't repeat my
> change there.)

Wow, that was a longstanding issue -- thanks for finally resolving it!

Eric