From: Michael Brand <michael.ch.brand@gmail.com>
To: Michael Heinrich <michael@haas-heinrich.de>
Cc: Org Mode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: agenda: personal priority for today
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 14:16:47 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Michael

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 2:35 PM, Michael Heinrich
<michael@haas-heinrich.de> wrote:
> I came from planner-mode and use kind of GTD also in org-mode.  One
> thing I still miss in org-mode is the flexibility of moving tasks up and
> down on the today page.

Two years ago I wrote down my thoughts about using Org priorities [#A]
etc. for reordering tasks, please read here:
"manually move tasks in list of agenda tags-todo"
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode//2011-07/msg00003.html

In the meantime I abandon tags and use Org priorities [#A] less often
and only for a detail view within a subtree or within a file, together
with the very convenient agenda restriction (keys "<" for buffer and
"< <" for subtree) and together with _one single_ and very simple
custom agenda for all prioritized todo groups:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
  ("r" "todo with Org prio restricted to file/subtree (“tags-todo”)"
   ((tags-todo
     "PRIORITY>=\"A\""
     ((org-agenda-files nil)))))
#+END_SRC

On top of this and more important is a "focus" file focus.org (not
part of the org-agenda-files) for the big picture with all items
ordered by priority (in a common sense, not Org priority [#A] etc.):

,-------- focus.org (most important first):
; * TODO global task 2 [[item:lfYD9-3HDmH]]
; * TODO global task 1 [[item:MR3hG-xdQMy]]
; * project x [[item:KjgaR-ulAfi]]
;   * TODO project x task 2 [[item:CKdf1-lCbEF]]
;   * TODO project x task 1 [[item:g7Sda-X7HP5]]
; * TODO project y [[tree:qpuPE-vZE0F]]
; * TODO global task 3 [[item::piKci-VaB1A]]
;
; #+LINK: item id:
; #+LINK: tree id:
'--------

It contains only one-liners with a short description and a link to
items or subtrees for the details. Note the "tree:" link for project
y: In comparison to the the "item:" links it means that following the
link and restrict to subtree for my above custom agenda "r" shows the
details, ordered by Org priorities [#A] etc. The purpose of this is to
keep focus.org small and clear. One could of course also have e. g.
project y link to another focus file focus_project_y.org to show and
order the tasks within project y there. David Allen's GTD suggests 6
levels of focus: 50k feet, 40k feet etc. to ground level...

Such a focus.org lets one change ordering and grouping very fast
thanks to the power of Org structure editing.

The only other agenda view that I use now is of type "agenda" and
contains only items that can not be done before and/or after a given
date. Todos that can be done any time and that I already scheduled (in
a sense without date, not Org "SCHEDULED:") and prioritized I access
through focus.org.

Michael