* leave inactive timestamp inactive
@ 2012-01-12 19:56 Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2012-01-12 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode, Carsten Dominik, John Wiegley

Hi all

When one does "Shift-<right>" on an inactive timestamp it remains
inactive. When one does "C-c . S-<right> RET" the inactive timestamp
changes to active but I would like it also to remain inactive. What
are the opinions on this?

My frequent use case is changing an inactive timestamp left over from
a copy/paste to today with "C-c . . RET".

The behavior could be changed very easily by just uncommenting this
line:

http://orgmode.org/w/?p=org-mode.git;a=blob;f=lisp/org.el;h=e878626d6e6ae68781546a270ae1020c477581fd;hb=HEAD#l14792

";	(setq inactive (eq (char-after (match-beginning 0)) ?\[))"

which has been inserted with release_6.07b-42-gd043e31:

commit d043e31182595983df3d191e80ca941ee171c400
Author: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
Date:   Wed Oct 1 09:25:18 2008 +0200

    Integrate John Wiegley's org-attach.el.

Michael

* Re: leave inactive timestamp inactive
@ 2012-01-12 23:35 ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2012-01-12 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Brand; +Cc: Org Mode, Carsten Dominik

> When one does "Shift-<right>" on an inactive timestamp it remains
> inactive. When one does "C-c . S-<right> RET" the inactive timestamp changes
> to active but I would like it also to remain inactive. What are the opinions
> on this?

C-c . is the keystroke for inserting an active timestamp.  Why would you want
it to keep an inactive timestamp inactive?  I'd use C-c ! S-<right> RET to do
what you're suggesting.

John

* Re: leave inactive timestamp inactive
@ 2012-01-13  3:52   ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2012-01-13  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi John

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 00:35, John Wiegley <jwiegley@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why would you want it to keep an inactive timestamp inactive?

I'd like to update to today and keep inactive e. g. "[2012-01-11 Wed]"
just below a heading or the property ":Opened: [2012-01-11 Wed]" left
from a copy/paste.

> I'd use C-c ! S-<right> RET to do what you're suggesting.

Of course, how could I miss that... When I think of it not as an edit
but as a re-insert then "C-c ! . RET" becomes obvious for my use case.
Thanks for bringing my brain back to work.

Michael