On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 5:31 AM, Nick Dokos wrote: > You can turn on formula debugging with C-c { and then you'd > see that in Pancho's case, the list is ("") i.e. a list containing the > empty string - a list of length 1. That might qualify as a bug (or not) This issue is part of some old bugs that I discovered end of 2012. It seems like my patch from then http://orgmode.org/w/org-mode.git?p=org-mode.git;a=commitdiff;h=764315 resolved it only partially and I missed the case of a range with only empty fields, although I tested and approved it in my ERTs... The attached patch corrects. It is worth a small compatibility change: For a range with only empty fields it is now possible and necessary to choose different behaviors of vmean by adding the format specifiers E and/or N. Michael