* Resolving conflicts with ediff and folding
@ 2015-04-20 23:23 Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2015-04-20 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Org mode

Hi,

Something that has been bugging me for many years now, everytime I
resolve conflicts in Org files with ediff, it's a pain.  All the buffers
keep folding the outlines, hiding the conflicts.  I keep going to the
buffers manually (which can be somewhat of a pain in a text terminal),
and unfolding them manually.  But of course the PROPERTY drawers,
LOGBOOKs, and other DRAWERs are still folded!

And then after I have jumped through hoops, and resolved the conflicts,
I realise I could have just switched to text-mode before invoking ediff!

Is there a way where I don't have to remember to switch the major mode
before invoking ediff[1]?  Or maybe an ediff experience where the
buffers are forced to unhide text.  I guess it should be possible to
just temporarily remove all overlays or invisible properties.

Any thoughts, ideas?

Footnotes:

[1] I guess I can advice ediff*, but compiling a comprehensive list of
    all such functions might be bit of a chore.

--
Suvayu

* Re: Resolving conflicts with ediff and folding
@ 2015-04-21  1:00 ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2015-04-21  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: Emacs Org mode

On Tue, 21 Apr 2015, Suvayu Ali wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Something that has been bugging me for many years now, everytime I
> resolve conflicts in Org files with ediff, it's a pain.  All the buffers
> keep folding the outlines, hiding the conflicts.  I keep going to the
> buffers manually (which can be somewhat of a pain in a text terminal),
> and unfolding them manually.  But of course the PROPERTY drawers,
> LOGBOOKs, and other DRAWERs are still folded!
>
> And then after I have jumped through hoops, and resolved the conflicts,
> I realise I could have just switched to text-mode before invoking ediff!
>
> Is there a way where I don't have to remember to switch the major mode
> before invoking ediff[1]?  Or maybe an ediff experience where the
> buffers are forced to unhide text.  I guess it should be possible to
> just temporarily remove all overlays or invisible properties.
>
> Any thoughts, ideas?

Did you see this thread:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2013-04/msg00400.html

??

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: Resolving conflicts with ediff and folding
@ 2015-04-23 14:14   ` J. David Boyd
       [not found]     ` <gjub383rgce1.fsf-JUvT7rMoG4SqrIjp+dE73DJtLkR7yuzc@public.gmane.org>
From: J. David Boyd @ 2015-04-23 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Charles C. Berry" <ccberry@ucsd.edu> writes:

> On Tue, 21 Apr 2015, Suvayu Ali wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Something that has been bugging me for many years now, everytime I
>> resolve conflicts in Org files with ediff, it's a pain.  All the buffers
>> keep folding the outlines, hiding the conflicts.  I keep going to the
>> buffers manually (which can be somewhat of a pain in a text terminal),
>> and unfolding them manually.  But of course the PROPERTY drawers,
>> LOGBOOKs, and other DRAWERs are still folded!
>>
>> And then after I have jumped through hoops, and resolved the conflicts,
>> I realise I could have just switched to text-mode before invoking ediff!
>>
>> Is there a way where I don't have to remember to switch the major mode
>> before invoking ediff[1]?  Or maybe an ediff experience where the
>> buffers are forced to unhide text.  I guess it should be possible to
>> just temporarily remove all overlays or invisible properties.
>>
>> Any thoughts, ideas?
>
> Did you see this thread:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2013-04/msg00400.html
>
> ??
>
> HTH,
>
> Chuck

That't what I was going to say.  I added that to my setup long ago, and it has
been working fine since then.  I don't ediff all that often, but when I do it
certainly helps.

Dave

@ 2015-04-28  9:43       ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2015-04-28  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. David Boyd; +Cc: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

J. David Boyd wrote:
> "Charles C. Berry" <ccberry-XkckGZ689+c@public.gmane.org> writes:
>> On Tue, 21 Apr 2015, Suvayu Ali wrote:
>>>
>>> Something that has been bugging me for many years now, everytime
>>> I resolve conflicts in Org files with ediff, it's a pain.  All the
>>> buffers keep folding the outlines, hiding the conflicts.  I keep
>>> going to the buffers manually (which can be somewhat of a pain in
>>> a text terminal), and unfolding them manually.  But of course the
>>> PROPERTY drawers, LOGBOOKs, and other DRAWERs are still folded!
>>>
>>> And then after I have jumped through hoops, and resolved the
>>> conflicts, I realise I could have just switched to text-mode before
>>> invoking ediff!
>>>
>>> Is there a way where I don't have to remember to switch the major
>>> mode before invoking ediff[1]?  Or maybe an ediff experience where
>>> the buffers are forced to unhide text.  I guess it should be
>>> possible to just temporarily remove all overlays or invisible
>>> properties.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts, ideas?
>>
>> Did you see this thread:
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2013-04/msg00400.html
>> ??
>
> That't what I was going to say.  I added that to my setup long ago,
> and it has been working fine since then.  I don't ediff all that
> often, but when I do it certainly helps.

The only (tiny) problem is that the `truncate-lines' and `visible-mode'
settings stay in the buffer after the Ediff session -- while one would
love to get back to the original settings of the buffer.c

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Resolving conflicts with ediff and folding
@ 2015-05-04  6:23         ` iemacs
From: iemacs @ 2015-05-04  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban, J. David Boyd; +Cc: emacs-orgmode