* Creating table of summarized org-mode result fields in column view "report"
@ 2020-03-12  4:46 Daryl Manning
From: Daryl Manning @ 2020-03-12  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I keep a daily log file where there are some summarize colon delimited
files each day inserted via a template (from Alfred's snippet feature).

``` org-mode
* 2020-03-11 Wed
** 07:37 Log 2020-03-12 Wed
:logs:
*** The  Day

This:         ??
That:        --
Other:      ???
Thing:      ???
Highlights:    ???
```

I would like to parse certain of the daily field entries, into by-day
colunmnar entries in desc ending order into an org column view "chart" if
it's possible so that I can easily visually parse how those things went
each day (sure, org-table might work too but this seemed cleaner and more
visually appropriate if possible.

```
| Day     |   This  |  That   | Other  | Thing |  Highlights  |
```
spaced widely across the screen. Effectively, a columnar report of the
dayes and the "fields"  (I'll worry about monthly views etc after the
basics sorted... =] ).

I imagine someone has already done something similar but googling has not
given joy (possibly my google-fu needs work) in terms of finding something
already existing other than a way to do something vaguely similar for pdf
output (whereas I am thinking of it more like a sort of agenda report as it
were.

Can anyone point me to something similar already? (and is this even
possible with column view instead of say, turning it into an org-table
within a buffer. Would appreciate advice on how to approach this if it is
something I need to write from scratch as konwledge of org-mode internals
is, at best, weak (ahem... =p ).

thanks!
Daryl.

* Re: Creating table of summarized org-mode result fields in column view "report"
@ 2020-03-12  6:54 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-03-12  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daryl Manning; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thursday, 12 Mar 2020 at 12:46, Daryl Manning wrote:
> Can anyone point me to something similar already? (and is this even
> possible with column view instead of say, turning it into an org-table
> within a buffer.

This would be straightforward if each of those entries were a
PROPERTY.  Then you can specify the properties to display in column view
along with their widths.  I do this for my todo list which is all in a
single org file.

You could define the columns along these lines:

#+columns: %60ITEM %this %that %50highlights

to show the contents.

HTH,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.3.6-412-ge18415

* Re: Creating table of summarized org-mode result fields in column view "report"
@ 2020-03-12  7:23   ` Daryl Manning
From: Daryl Manning @ 2020-03-12  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for the response. Very helpful.

I figured out since writing it rom light research on column view and the
helpful column view video on the emacs site):

1. Parse the daily files to AST  (can do this now via a function)
2. Convert the "yaml-ed" fields to :PROPERTY: "drawer" fields (after
looking at the Column video on the emacs website)
3. Dump to a temp buffer with the column definition somewhat like what you
outlined ahead of it to render (though was not sure how to pass the fields
dynamically, but figured could start with fixed)

However, I figured this has to be a common enough(ish) thing that people
need to do that it might already been a code snippet function (or even a
package) floating around. So, this was more a "does this look like a
problem someone has already solved" and where is that package/code kinda
question. =]   #lazyweb

Otherwise, I'll just wander off and attempt coding it myself over le
weekend. =]

thanks!
Daryl.

@ 2020-03-12  8:39     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-03-12  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daryl Manning; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thursday, 12 Mar 2020 at 15:23, Daryl Manning wrote:
> However, I figured this has to be a common enough(ish) thing that people
> need to do that it might already been a code snippet function (or even a
> package) floating around.

You say you generate these logs using a template.  Could you not modify
this template to create the subheading with a PROPERTIES drawer instead
of a log drawer?  It would require only adding a leading : to each entry
beyond that.

Just thinking out loud here...

--

@ 2020-03-12  8:44       ` Daryl Manning