I applied your diff with a testing. This indeed solved the performance issue. Will this be updated in Org-mode source code? Also I come up with one thing, filter out tags which have shortcut keybinding bound. Because user defined shortcut key defined tags are not always on head of list. [stardiviner] GPG key ID: 47C32433 IRC(freeenode): stardiviner Twitter: @numbchild Key fingerprint = 9BAA 92BC CDDD B9EF 3B36 CB99 B8C4 B8E5 47C3 2433 Blog: http://stardiviner.github.io/ On Sat, May 13, 2023 at 3:39 PM Ihor Radchenko wrote: > stardiviner writes: > > > I have a large `org-tag-alist` value that contains about ~7000 tags. > > When I press [C-c C-q] `org-set-tags-command`. Emacs suspends a long > time. > > Indeed. That's because `org-fast-tag-selection' tries to put all those > 7k tags into tag selection window. > > We can probably limit the maximum number of tags in the quick selection > window. > > Can you try the attached simple diff for `org-fast-tag-selection' and > check if it is enough to solve the hang? > > > -- > Ihor Radchenko // yantar92, > Org mode contributor, > Learn more about Org mode at . > Support Org development at , > or support my work at >