I like this idea. [stardiviner] GPG key ID: 47C32433 IRC(freeenode): stardiviner Twitter: @numbchild Key fingerprint = 9BAA 92BC CDDD B9EF 3B36 CB99 B8C4 B8E5 47C3 2433 Blog: http://stardiviner.github.io/ On Sat, Feb 10, 2018 at 12:42 AM, Mark Edgington wrote: > Hello all, > > I have looked at a few threads related to the archiving of subtrees, > but haven't found anything that matches what I think would be a very > sensible archiving behavior. I already posted this as a question on > the emacs stack-exchange site > (https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/38530/how-to- > archive-an-org-mode-subtree-along-with-its-parent-headlines), > but realize that the mailing list is probably more likely to get some > feedback from people. So here's what I'm trying to figure out how to > do: > > Say I start with an org-file that looks like: > > #+ARCHIVE: ::* Archived > > * Foo > * Tasks > * Task1 > * Thoughts > * Thought1 > * Thought2 > > * Archived > > Now I put the point (i.e. cursor) on Thought1 and run > org-super-archive (the magical command I'm hoping to find). The result > should be: > > #+ARCHIVE: ::* Archived > > * Foo > * Tasks > * Task1 > * Thoughts > * Thought2 > > * Archived > * Foo > * Thoughts > * Thought1 > > Now I move the point to Thought2 and again run org-super-archive, > which should give me: > > #+ARCHIVE: ::* Archived > > * Foo > * Tasks > * Task1 > * Thoughts > > * Archived > * Foo > * Thoughts > * Thought1 > * Thought2 > > So the basic operation I'm seeking is the ability to archive a subtree > to whatever target location is specified with #+ARCHIVE (or > org-archive-location) where (1) the full path of the archived subtree > is mirrored beneath that target location, and (2) the subtree will be > merged into an existing path under the target if an appropriate path > already exists (e.g. a path consisting of all of the subtree's parent > headlines, regardless of the content of the bodies of these > headlines). > > As an added bonus, it would be nice if it were possible to choose > whether or not the "full path" of a subtree to be archived will > include the org-file name as the root of the path. This would be > useful in cases where you archive from multiple org-files to a single > archive.org file. > > Any thoughts on this -- has it already been done, or would it be easy to > do? > >