Can you describe how do you do this in detailed? Like: > but since I am using docker containers to run node, I always mount the current directory as a volume in /app inside the container, so that works out fine. > I also think that this way forces me to separate the code in modular blocks, which is already a good practice in itself. How to do this? About this: > With sessions you have to make sure to execute the blocks in the correct order to build the "state" that your current block needs. I think have to use `noweb` reference here. (If you have a blog article describe this whole JS literate programming setup, that will be useful.) Finally, thanks you provide this paradigm. [stardiviner] GPG key ID: 47C32433 IRC(freeenode): stardiviner Twitter: @numbchild Key fingerprint = 9BAA 92BC CDDD B9EF 3B36 CB99 B8C4 B8E5 47C3 2433 Blog: http://stardiviner.github.io/ On Sat, Dec 23, 2017 at 2:32 AM, Martin Alsinet wrote: > Hello stardiviner, > > On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 6:57 AM stardiviner wrote: > >> >> I wish to do JavaScript Literate Programming in Org-mode. >> >> So the :session header argument is very necessary. >> >> > I do Literate Programming in Javascript with Org-mode, and I have found a > workaround using a combination of tangled files and require. > > I separate the logic in source code blocks which then I tangle into js > files and I require those js files in other source blocks. > > Example: > > #+BEGIN_SRC js :tangle src/parser.js > const fs = require('fs'); > const parse = require('csv-parse') > > function columns(line){ > return line.map(s => s.toLowerCase()); > } > parse_csv = function(filename, fn, limit){ > fs.readFile(filename, "utf8", function (err, fileData) { > var opts = {columns: columns, trim: true}; > if (limit) { > opts.to = limit; > } > parse(fileData, opts, (err, rows) => fn(rows)); > }); > } > module.exports = parse_csv; > #+END_SRC > > So, I tangle that source block into a js file, and then I can use it from > other blocks, without needing sessions at all: > > #+BEGIN_SRC > const parser = require("/app/src/parser.js"); > const inputFile = './data/records.csv'; > parse_csv(inputFile, console.log); > #+END_SRC > > The only drawback is that you have to use absolute paths requiring the js > files, but since I am using docker containers to run node, I always mount > the current directory as a volume in /app inside the container, so that > works out fine. > I also think that this way forces me to separate the code in modular > blocks, which is already a good practice in itself. > With sessions you have to make sure to execute the blocks in the correct > order to build the "state" that your current block needs. > This way source blocks function as standalone units that can be run at any > time, I just run *org-babel-tangle* and then hit *C-c *inside the js > block. > > I hope that helps you. > > > Martin >