Hi, Thanks a lot. ----------------------------- *Sanjib Sikder *Ph.D. Fellow Chemical Engineering IIT Bombay* * On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 1:06 AM, Nick Dokos wrote: > Teemu Likonen wrote: > > > Sanjib Sikder [2012-10-18 00:32:00 +0530] wrote: > > > > > Even after 26th minute, there is no sign of the code in work. Is it > that > > > $HOME is not allowed and I need to give full path ? > > > > Ah, I thought that you'd run it from your personal crontab. So yes, > > write paths from root's point of view. > > > > [I replied to Sanjib privately on the grounds that it's OT for the list, > but let me add a couple of notes to this thread before we shut it off > as completely OT: cron issues are hardly germane to org.] > > o Adding personal items to root-owned crontabs is a *bad idea* indeed. > > o One should try the script by hand before trying to incorporate it into > cron: > much easier to debug. > > o cron operates in a restricted environment: just run `env' as a cron job > to > find out what it knows (hint: not much). > > o Quite apart from cron issues, the backup method in the script is > fundamentally flawed in my opinion: iiuc, it flattens the hierarchy, > so if you have org files with the same name in different directories, > only *one* will be saved into the backup directory - hardly a reliable > backup. > > Nick >