On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 at 17:08, Stefan Kangas wrote: > I've been working on removing redundant `function' around `lambda' in > Emacs core, I'm slightly curious about the history and reasoning around this. If I understand correctly, (lambda ...) on its own has always worked, and it's never been strictly necessary to add (quote ...) or (function ...) around it. Then sometime (Emacs 19 or later, I think) it started being recommended to use (function ...). Do you know why that recommendation started, and should I understand that the reasoning for it has now evaporated? Best wishes, Neil