On Wed, 18 Dec 2019, 11:10 Fraga, Eric, wrote: > On Wednesday, 18 Dec 2019 at 11:02, Sharon Kimble wrote: > > I've tried using a symlink to the file held in another directory, but > > when I restarted emacs the symlink wasn't followed and it created a new > > abbrev_def file from somewhere, I don't know where. > > This is strange. I have my .abbrev_defs symlinked to elsewhere and it > works just fine. I've been doing this for years, probably from emacs > v22 onwards (but that's just a guess). > > To answer your original question, I use version control (e.g. src or > git) to manage that file along with other dotfiles. > Likewise; I symlink from ~/.emacs to the real .emacs in my git-managed repo, and that has been working well for me. Best wishes, Neil